Thursday, February 9, 2012

Impromptu Weekday Family Dinner

On Tuesday, I received an unexpected package at my office.  Our friends, Alan and Tonya, sent over four beautiful, fresh Maine lobsters from Boothbay Harbor, Maine as a belated birthday gift.  It was an incredibly generous, surprising and delicious birthday treat!



I had a firm event on Tuesday night, but last night, we brought the lobsters to my parents' house for an impromptu feast (sans my sister, who is sadly allergic to lobster).  Because they were so fresh, the lobsters were still alive and kicking....and I was secretly glad not to have to boil them myself.  My mom happily took the honors.  She was just thrilled to be cooking (and eating) lobster in the winter as this is usually a summer treat.  For me, I was just happy to have a great excuse for all of us to gather together and enjoy a family dinner.




My mom did all of the cooking and everything was simply prepared, yet so delicious.  The asparagus and cauliflower steaks were simply seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven.  The sirloin steaks were similarly seasoned and pan-grilled.  The lobster was boiled to perfection and the meat was so sweet and tender. 

Thanks again to Alan and Tonya for the generous birthday gift...and for giving my family the perfect excuse to sit around, eat and talk during an impromptu weekday family dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment