Thursday, February 19, 2009

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian

I've been meaning to write about this book for awhile now, but I guess better late than never! Bittman's cookbook is a great resource, I have found myself going to if multiple times to learn about a new ingredient, cooking technique, or preparation ideas. An introduction into vegetarian basics, equipment and techniques is followed by pages and pages of recipes. This book is not for the light-hearted, weighing in 996 pages! It reminds me of an encyclopedia, as you can find information about new ingredients, information about various ways to cook said ingredient, and then variations on the theme. You can actually find the book on Google Book Search if you want to preview it.

Awhile back I made some Eggplant Gnocchi , a nice variation on the traditional pasta. Now that I have a potato ricer, I bet these would turn out even beter!!
Eggplant Gnocchi


Since then I've also tried Braised Tofu & Peas in Curried Coconut Milk, which I served over a mix of brown and wild rice. I was a little worried about this one, but I really enjoyed it!!

Braised Tofu & Peas in Curried Coconut Milk


After purchasing some miso for that hummus-turned-soup, I also prepared some Miso Smashed Potatoes & Edamame, which was delightful. I've been meaning to throw some edamame in there, and I'm glad I finally did!

Miso Smashed Potatoes & Edamame

It seems strange to call it a cookbook, as it's really so much more, but I think its a perfect addition to everyone's library! Let me know if you have any other specific questions :)


A few things before I leave...
--Check out Sabrina's recap of a Boston Blogger Meetup! Thanks to Tina for organizing!! I think everyone else has posted a recap too, so click away :)
--Don't forget to head on over to Healthy Tipping point for a RoadID giveaway--it could save your life!
--I made some notes on the Snowball recipe, as I tried out some substitutions to make them a bit healthier for Meghann's Bake Sale and they were still ever so yummy! Lisa wrote to tell me, "They are AWESOME!!!! As soon as I received the box, I had to dig in! Perfect consistency, great flavor...oh so addicting!!! They are very popular here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment