Monday, August 30, 2010

Tavern On The Water

You go for the atmosphere.

You go for the view.
Do you want the good news or the bad news?

Good news is the brunch is pretty damn good.
A surprise of sorts! When the menu lists home fries these little nuggets of herb crusted hash browns are the last thing you expect to see on your plate.
They were absolutely delightful. The entire plate was a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed the addition of lemony fresh greens to the standard 2 egg, sausage, english muffin breakfast.

Bad news is, the bloody marys were awful.

I've had a lot of bloody marys in my life. I know when they taste good. I know when they taste bad.
They look awesome. I look so excited to drink them. They even have a golf tee holding the garnishes in place.

Ironically, Tavern On The Water offers a make your own bloody mary bar. As fun and inviting as that sounds, we were too lazy and tired to make our own after walking all the way to the Charlestown Navy Yard in the 90 degree heat. We opted for the bartenders batch. I was in the kind of mood that if I wanted to make my own, I would have. At home.Surely, the bartender can make a better drink than us. Also, Adam never orders a bloody mary. I have no idea why he did today. I guess he wanted to try something new. Good for him. Or not so much. The taste was exceedingly more awkward with every sip. We kept making faces inadvertently whilst drinking but didn't discuss it until afterwards. I guess it was as painful to admit defeat as it was to drink! As we walked down the pier toward home, Adam was perplexed how anyone could like these, and chalked it up to lack of booze in the mix. I reassured him that was not the case. I'm just saying' - it did not taste like spicy tomato juice sans vodka. It tasted more like a stale drink mix of sorts. Honestly, I have no idea where they went wrong. I have no idea if this was just a fluke batch, but it definitely left me feeling disappointed.
Be wary the Bloody Marys.
But definitely stop in for a beer or two.

Tavern on the Water on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment