Friday, January 16, 2009

Spicing up the Aubergine

After seeing Gina rave about this eggplant curry quite a few times, I decided I had to give it a shot in my own kitchen. Not having tried it before, I found a few recipes online and adapted them to create my own version... can't say how authentic it was, but I enjoyed it!


Baingan Bharta
Recipe by Shannon, adapted from several sources (see links above)
~2 servings if you include some naan



1 large eggplant, roasted at 450deg and flesh scooped out
1T EVOO
1c chopped onion (i had a red one on hand)
2 cloves garlic
1" piece of fresh ginger, grated
1/3 jalapeno, diced
3/4 can diced roasted tomatoes with chilis
1t cumin
1/4t tumeric
1/2t garam masala
dash of cayenne
1/4t coriander
1/4t paprika
1t chili powder
1/2c greek yogurt
, optional

Heat EVOO in pan over medium heat. Add onions and saute until softened. Add ginger, garlic, jalapeno and saute 2-3 min. Add remaining ingredients (except yogurt) and cook maybe 15min. I prepared this ahead of time so I gave it a few days to hang out in the fridge, allowing the flavors to come together.

To serve, I prepared some WW Naan, and then warmed up some of the Baingan Bhartha. The spice level was a bit too much for me, so I topped it with some greek yogurt to cool it off a bit!! And then washed it all down with a glass of milk :)



Apparently, this was the week to make this dish, as it popped up at Serious Eats and then See Jess Run! I really like Jess' addition of chickpeas, I thought of it myself, but finished my last can on the pumpkin hummus.

Have you guys seen the Honest Foods giveaway over at Oh She Glows?? Hurry, it's only open until Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment