Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Summer Eats

Sorry for going MIA, it's been a bit crazy here... Hi to everyone I met at the Healthy Living Summit!! I can't describe how awesome it was to hear "I read your blog!" :) I meant to attend some of the other festivities, but I had to make it out to the burbs to sit this guy...

Perseus

He was tuckered out after our long walks in the heat and humidity of last week! I was pretty much without internet access, so I'm still trying to catch up :/

I did have the realization that zucchini and corn make an amazing pairing! I had sauteed some zucchini with onions in a little EVOO, but didn't have a plan of what to use them in. I thought of combining it with corn on a pizza, but instead of making my own dough I took the easy way out and used pitas already on hand. I made this a few times during the week and varied the cheese (Laughing Cow, goat cheese, or fresh mozz), but I think my fav way was with the laughing cow spread underneath a heaping pile of zucchini and corn, broiled until crispy! Yum...

Zucchini Corn Pita Pizza

I was also beyond excited to find 2 pints of sour cherries at a store when I was looking something for my mom :) I immediately popped them in my basket (let's not think about the fact that I had a basket... when I went in for 1 thing that I could've held in my hands) and began to think about my failed pie. Maybe it was fear, maybe it was the heat and humidity... but I ended up making some Sour Cherry Frozen Yogurt! My cherries were actually so good I could eat them plain, so I cut back on the sugar and used amaretto instead of the rum and almond extract. A great way to cool off :)

Sour Cherry Frozen Yogurt

Looking at these pictures, I am appreciating all the natural light I get in my apartment :) (These were not taken in my apt) I am off for a long weekend home Thursday, so the next time you hear from me it will likely be another race recap!

No comments:

Post a Comment