Thursday, August 13, 2009

Backlogged

~sigh~ The days keep passing by yet I feel like I can't keep up. I have tried a bunch of good recipes, so here's a bunch of photos and links for your viewing pleasure...

A bunch of kale happenned to be in my fridge when I read this post. It didn't take me long to whip up a batch of Celine's kagels (kale bagels)! I used whole wheat flour with ~2T vital wheat gluten for mine, and enjoyed them topped with hummus (in the front) or cheese (in the back) and a thickly sliced heirloom tomato... yum :)




I experimented with adding peaches to my caprese salad! This combination has popped up a few places this summer, so I had to give it a shot. I topped my heriloom tomatoes, local peaches, and fresh mozz with a little balsamic that I reduced with a little honey and a cinnamon stick. This was a nice twist on the traditional salad :)



After my pie failure, I stopped sulking and made a small batch of this Sour Cherry Borscht. This was very unique and I really loved how refreshing it was, especially topped with a bit of greek yogurt! Sour cherries, why isn't your season longer??



I finally got around to trying Ricki's Zucchini Pineapple Muffins (originally Mini Loaves)! I was really intrigued by the use of pureed avocado for some of the fat, and gave up waiting for me to buy some spelt flours-- I used white whole wheat for the light spelt flour and whole wheat for the barley flour. Mine seemed to be a bit dry (probably the change in flours), so I didn't keep them in the pan after 25 min in the oven. They turned out perfectly, and i'm in love! So glad I have more ripe avocado stashed in my freezer :)



Got corn? I did, and whipped up a small batch of Ellie Krieger's Creamy Corn & Veggie Soup. It was enjoyab-ly light, but it didn't knock my socks off. Maybe a bit of work on the seasoning front to give it a little punch?



After seeing some Spicy Roasted Shrimp & Green Beans pop up twice (first by Kalyn and then Esi), I knew this was going into the rotation as soon as I picked up green beans at the farmers market! Even using lime zest instead of lemon, this dish did not disappoint!



Tired yet? I sure am! I got one more for you before I hit the hay... a co-worker had a birthday this week and as her birthday buddy it was my turn to take care of the cake. Her request was a carrot cake, with all the goodies (pineapple, nuts, coconut, raisins). I ended up using Eating Well's recipe for the cake (I reduced the sugar a tad and used egg substitute for 2 of the eggs). This got topped off with some golden raisin cream cheese frosting (using Nufatchel, Smart Balance 50/50 sticks, and 1 1/2c powdered sugar) and some toasted walnuts. She liked it! In fact, it seemed to get rave reviews across the board :) Definitely a keeper!


Alright kids, it's way past my bedtime! Until next time... try some new recipes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment