Friday, January 28, 2011

January Round Up: Eats

You got the round up of drinks yesterday, today lets focus on the food! So far, I've been keeping good on my new years resolution. Pictured are of some of the meals I prepared this month that didn't involve a post all their own. They don't require a detailed recipe, but were photo worthy all the same.
{Breakfasts}
Eggs In A Basket are a pretty self explanatory not to mention super fun breakfast.
Last time I made them with Scali bread, which in comparison holds up to the runny egg better than this flimsy brand of wheat bread I had on hand.
In retrospect, I probably could have toasted them in the pan a little longer.Don't forget to toast the punched out holes. I smeared them with a touch of blackberry jam.
A two egg and Swiss cheese omlette with spinach, onion and tomato hits the spot on Sunday morning.
So I make messy omlettes. It happens.
{Dinners}

Crispy fried Eggplant Parmesan rounds are an addictive meal. Hot off the saute pan, I pop them like potato chips.
Eggplant parm was a staple in my Mom's kitchen; these are her inspiration and always bring back memories of childhood.To prepare, first I peel an eggplant, then slice it width wise. Next, I dust the individual slices with flour, drench them in a whisked egg and coat in an Italian breadcrumb and Parmesan cheese mixture. Finally, I fry them up in vegetable oil, about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. These are best served hot with pasta and red sauce. They do keep nicely as leftovers for lunch, however, the texture will be softer and subdued compared to perfectly crispy bites from the night before. On this particular night I paired rottini with a butter-garlic-tomato-basil sauce. Are you ever in the mood for butter and pasta like that picky 8 year old child who won't eat anything else? Because sometimes I am.
Tacos! Always tacos!
For a 100% no fuss week night meal.
Corn shell, ground beef + seasoning packet, cheese, sour cream, tomato and avocado. Done.I even spiced up the latest edition with leftover Nacho Corn Soup!
Perfectly ripe avocado for the win!
A smorgasbord meal included leftovers + a baked potato + roasted brussel sprouts. The potato was baked for 1 hour at 450 degrees and smothered in sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. Near East boxed rice pilaf always leaves leftovers. And from my Bourbon Apple Pork Chops dinner I created a side of green apple & corn salsa.The best part of this meal is tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper and roasted along with the potatoes but only for about 15 minutes.
Yes, that would be the brussels sprouts.

Happy Friday! This felt like the week that would never end. Hope you all have fun plans for the weekend. Mine include a trip to the Sam Adams Brewery and an evening out for cocktails with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment