Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thursday's Thoughts: Tulips and Turkey

On Tuesday night, I came home incredibly cranky.  I skipped out of work as early as I could to hit the gym for a quick workout before rushing home to grab a bridesmaid dress to bring to my seamstress.

Let me explain, this bridesmaid dress has been a source of a lot of stress.  While I understand that bridesmaid dresses often run a size up, I've been in four other weddings and I've never had to order a size FOUR sizes larger than my size.  Because the size was so ginormous, they told me that they had to charge me extra because it was now considered plus size.  Seriously.  I also had to order extra length for the dress because of my height (which I've had to do for each of my previous bridesmaid dresses), which of course also incurred another fee.  It was ridiculous.  When the dress arrived, the bride was nice enough to pick it up for me since the boutique is in Dedham and I don't have a car. Before she dropped it off at my place, she sent me an email to warn me that the size I ordered doesn't come with extra length so the boutique just ordered another size up and this should compensate the length.  She and I were both obviously concerned about this but I tried to remain optimistic.  I tried on the bridesmaid dress (that is FIVE sizes larger than my normal size) and it was of course huge.  The entire top part of the dress fell off and the middle of the dress could help me hide twenty extra pounds if I wanted.  The best part is that it is just barely long enough.  I put on the two-inch strappy heels that I intended on wearing with the dress and it was just a tiny bit too short.

So, on Tuesday night, I took the dress to my always trustworthy seamstress to find out what could be done.  She told me that she could take in the dress without ruining the integrity and style of the dress and without shortening it but that letting out the seam probably wouldn't do much.  If I got one inch strappy heels, she said the length would probably be fine.  It wasn't the worst case scenario but it also wasn't the best.  Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled.  That, along with some additional blah moments during the day led to a very cranky Michelle.

So, when I came home from the seamstress, I was happy to come home to this:


From my emails and texts during the day, Bret knew that I was feeling really frustrated and stressed.  These tulips were the perfect pick-me-up to put a smile on my face.

Normally, when I'm stressed out, I want to emotionally eat my troubles away.  But, Bret and I have been so good about eating healthy lately that I didn't want to fall off track.  I didn't feel like putting together too much energy into dinner so we decided to whip together some quick turkey burgers using lean ground turkey, salt, pepper, garlic powder and crushed red pepper flakes.  We intended to also use some leftover parsley from my savory bread pudding but found that it wasn't fresh and we tossed it.


While Bret pan-grilled the burgers, I sliced up half a leftover white onion and threw that in a pan with some vegetable oil to caramelize them.


I also cleaned and sliced two portabella mushrooms.  I tossed them in a bowl with some salt, pepper and one of my favorite pantry ingredients - roasted chili oil.


Once the burgers were flipped, the mushrooms were added to the grill pan to some nice grilled portabella mushrooms.


The end result was a wonderful bunless burger with grilled mushrooms and caramelized onions.


The only downfall to the dish was that it ended up being very brown in color.  Still, I needed a little break from the greens as I'd felt a little overwhelmed with greens from my romaine salad, asparagus, and cucumbers and celery from the previous nights.  Plus, the dish totally filled me and made me feel much better from the bridesmaid dress stresses.

Sidenote: After talking to the bridal boutique on Wednesday, they've offered to do free alterations and provide free shoes, which is nice but a pain in the butt since they are in Dedham.  If I choose to get it altered it with my only seamstress, they will refund me the fee for the extra length and the alteration costs.  I'm leaving it up to the bride to decide what she wants me to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment