Friday, January 21, 2011

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and White Beans

Before we left for Portland for my birthday weekend, Bret and I decided to place an order on Peapod to be delivered on Monday afternoon.  After all, there is nothing more depressing than coming home from a weekend away to an empty fridge!  We ordered some great vegetables and proteins and I was excited to use some of them right away in the kitchen!

Bret and I decided to make steak tips for dinner on Tuesday night so on Tuesday morning, Bret put together a quick marinade for the steak tips to marinate in while we were at work.  He used a combination of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, and garlic powder.  He also included salt, pepper and a dash of olive oil.


Thankfully Bret volunteered to marinate the steak tips for me since it really grosses me out to deal with raw meat first thing in the morning!


I knew that I wanted to use a bag of frozen Brussels sprouts as a side dish for the steak tips so I emptied the bag into a bowl and let it thaw in the fridge while we were at work.  Later that evening, I got home from the gym and took the bowl of marinated steak tips out of the fridge to bring them to room temperature.  I then got to work on a side dish for the steak tips.

The Brussels sprouts were mostly thawed so I sliced them and threw them in the Dutch oven.


I also chopped up four slices of turkey bacon and added that to the Le Creuset.


I rinsed and drained a can of cannellini beans and the beans were also added to the Dutch oven.  I seasoned the Brussels sprouts, turkey bacon and cannellini beans with salt, pepper, garlic powder, herbs de Provence, dried rosemary and a drizzle of herbs de Provence olive oil.


I gave all of these great ingredients a stir and then put it in the oven at 400 degrees for fifteen minutes uncovered. 


I also cooked my steak tips at the same time and temperature.  When the fifteen minutes were up, Bret took the steak tips out to let them rest while I broiled the Brussels sprouts on high for about five minutes.

I put the flash on the camera so that you could see all of the great textures in this dish.

This side dish had a lot of texture from the roasted Brussels sprouts, roasted white beans and crispy turkey bacon.  The seasonings added a lot of great flavor to the sprouts too!  I sprinkled a bit of grated Parmesan cheese on top of the roasted Brussels sprouts to add a fresh saltiness to the dish.


I absolutely loved the roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and white beans, and it was the perfect side dish to the tender juicy steak tips.


Do you like Brussels sprouts?  How do you like to prepare them?

No comments:

Post a Comment