Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Town & True Grit

I used to try to review movies I had seen or at least make note that I saw them and review what I ate or drank before and after.
See Previous posts:
That practice has fallen by the wayside and some great flicks deserving of my attention have missed a post all their own. The Town, for one. It was even shot in my neighborhoods! That is neighborhoods plural because Charlestown (yes, The Town) is where I spend my weekdays dodging masked men robbing banks working; and two, the beloved North End where the chase scenes are legit, the bank they rob is actually a local laundry mat and Ben Affleck was spotted during filming, as the film crews had set up shop on my street. Besides the beautiful and captivating shots of the cityscape overhead and seeing your very own Harvard Square and Fenway Park in full on action mode, it is a great movie. The plot is pretty straightforward but the movie involves intense scenes with talented actors. I'm obviously biased based on the fact that I love watching a movie that takes place in my own backyard, but I'd still recommend this film to all! Since this movie debuted September 17th, and I saw it in the theater soon after, I haven't the faintest what I ate or drank pre or post.
On New Years Day I saw the Coen Brothers latest film, True Grit. A modern Western drama full of spirited adventure, the plot unfolds with scenes that are both downright comical and awkwardly hysterical to utterly serious, genuine and heartfelt. Mattie Ross (Hailee Stienfeld) a fourteen year old as stubborn and strong willed as they come, will stop at nothing to avenge her fathers death. In search of the known murderer Tom Channey (Josh Brolin) she hires U.S Marshal Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) and Texas Ranger LaBoeuf (Matt Damon) offers his help as well. An unlikely trio, they embark on a wild west journey of retribution and discovering their "True Grit". The quick witted dialogue is exceptional and the scenes set in turn of the century mid-western America are always a point of fascination. After the movie, friends and I wandered into Rustic Kitchen Bitsto & Bar at 210 Stuart Street in Park Square for some drinks. The classy and inviting bistro houses super high ceilings flanked by rows of wine label collages accented with glowing flower shaped lights.
We had the bar to ourselves, which is almost to be expected on New Years Day. The dining room however was bustling with patrons. I sipped on a few Moretti draft beers, embracing the calm start of 2011. Have you seen either The Town or True Grit? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment