Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Morton's Sauteed Garlic Green Beans

Despite my mixed dining experience at Morton's on Friday night, there was one dish that really stood out to me - the sauteed garlic green beans.  I don't do this often but sometimes I love a dish so much at a restaurant that I have to try it at home.  I did a quick search online and when I found this recipe, I realized how easy it is to make in my own kitchen!

First, I set a pot of water with a pinch of salt on the stove to boil and I trimmed a pound of green beans.  While I usually find prep work to be relaxing, I've got to say that trimming green beans might be my least favorite kitchen task.


When the green beans were trimmed, I rinsed them and set them aside.  I then got to work chopping up one shallot.


When the water was boiling, I placed the green beans in the water to cook.  While I kept an eye on the green beans from overcooking, Bret pre-heated the oven to 450 degrees.  He cut and trimmed a pound of cod filet and brushed the fish on both sides with olive oil, salt and pepper.  When the oven was ready, Bret put the cod filets on a parchment lined baking sheet and roasted it in the oven for eight minutes (the larger filets took a few more minutes).


Meanwhile, I continued working on the green beans.  When the green beans were cooked to a crisp al dente, I blanched them in an ice bath to stop the cooking.  When the green beans had cooled, I drained them and set them aside.


I warmed up a pan on the stove with a few tablespoons of unsalted butter.  I first added the chopped shallot and allowed them to sweat.  I pressed five large garlic cloves straight into the pan.  I then added the green beans to the pan and tossed it with the butter, onion and garlic sauce.


The sauteed garlic green beans were crunchy and full of garlic flavor.  It was a perfect match with the tender roasted cod.


My version of Morton's sauteed garlic green beans were way more garlicky, which is a good thing for a garlic-lover like myself!  I will definitely be making this side dish on a regular basis because it is so easy yet so flavorful. 

Have you ever tried something at a restaurant that you just had to try to recreate at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment