Saturday, January 23, 2010

GOING RAW AT ONE LUCKY DUCK


I walked into the carnal red room hearing violent blades whirring against raw vegetables, shredding, grinding and juicing. As I advanced to the counter, I studied the neatly organized shelves of organic vegan food: chia seeds, flax seeds, goji berries and raw carob powder, and stacks of books on living and eating raw.  I was met by a modern day urban hippie standing behind the counter sporting a slouchy hemp beanie, I looked closer and everyone behind the place wearing a hemp beanie. Eerie, like deja-vu. All they needed were tie-dyed shirts and burning incense to fulfill the stereotype, and I would have been completely transported back to my hippie days at Berkeley hanging out and living with hardcore vegans.

continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment