Thursday, March 17, 2011

Parsley Pesto Chicken Pizza

I have a love-hate relationship with parsley.  You see, I love everything about parsley but I get annoyed that you have to buy it in such huge bunches!  I usually only use a little bit of parsley and by the time I remember to use the remaining parsley in the fridge...it has already gone bad.  And I hate wasting food!

So, when I purchased a large bunch of parsley to use in the chickpea burgers with garlic naan and yogurt sauce, I vowed I wouldn't let this happen again.  The very next day, I took the rest of the parsley out of the fridge and decided to find a really easy and simple use for it - parsley pesto!

The ingredients were simple:
  • Bunch of parsley (stems removed)
  • 3/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • Pepper, to taste
I threw all of these ingredients in the food processor and pureed it until it resulted in a delightful pesto. 


So what did I do with the parsley pesto?  I used about half of the pesto to marinade some chicken breasts that I had cut down into bite-size pieces.  I also added a splash of olive oil to the marinade to keep the chicken moist. 


After marinating the chicken for five or six hours, I baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for three minutes on each side.  I let the chicken cool and then used about 3/4 of it on a pizza using the leftover garlic naan.  I topped the garlic naan with pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, parsley pesto chicken, more mozzarella cheese and some grated Parmesan cheese.  It baked in the oven at 325 for about fifteen minutes.


The pizza was so good and I definitely will be using naan again for pizza in the future!  We made two pizzas and I ate half of one naan pizza with a large side salad.  The pizza was even better the next day as leftovers.


I still have some parsley pesto leftover.  Any suggestions on how to use the rest of the parsley pesto?

No comments:

Post a Comment