Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

For the past few nights, I've been craving something sweet for dessert but didn't have anything in the kitchen that would satisfy my sweet tooth.  I decided to cave into my cravings yesterday and whip up some Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies.  This is a recipe in King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking Cookbook, which has become my go-to cookbook whenever I decide to do some baking.


The recipe is pretty straightforward.  First, I gathered my ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar (I used dark brown sugar)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder (optional) (I definitely used the espresso powder!)
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/3 cup light corn syrup or brown sugar corn syrup (I used light corn syrup)
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 1/4 cups traditional whole wheat flour
  • 3 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (I used semisweet chocolate chips)
Using the microwave, I melted the butter in fifteen second intervals and then stirred in the brown sugar.  I continued heating the brown sugar and butter mixture in the microwave until it was just beginning to bubble.  I poured the brown sugar and butter mixture into a medium-sized bowl and let it cool to room temperature.


I then stirred in the vanilla, salt, baking soda, espresso powder, baking powder, corn syrup and vinegar.  To be honest, it smelled a little strange with the cider vinegar in it.


I then beat in two eggs.


And then I also stirred the flour in.


I finally added the chocolate chips. 


I was happy to see that this recipe does not skimp on chocolate chips!


The recipe calls for this dough refrigerating overnight but I was impatient and just let it refrigerate for about three hours.  I preheated the oven to 375 degrees.  I lined several baking trays with parchment paper and dropped the cookie dough by the tablespoon onto the trays. 


I baked the cookies for five minutes on the bottom shelf of the oven and then another four minutes on the top shelf until the edges seemed to slightly brown.

I let the cookies cool completely on the tray before putting them on a plate. 


These cookies definitely hit the spot and I loved that they were soft and chewy.


I knew it would be deadly to have this many cookies lying around since this recipe made a lot of cookies, so I sent some with Bret to work for his co-workers and I also am bringing some cookies to a friend today.

What was the last thing you baked or ate to satisfy your sweet tooth?

No comments:

Post a Comment