Thursday, March 10, 2011

Meyer Time

So after sharing my lemon bars with a few friends, I was told that I should go ahead and share the recipe ;)  They are good, just not quite like a traditional 'lemon bar', so we're going to go ahead and call them Meyer Lemon Applesauce Bars...  k?   These were made with my last meyer lemon (for now), and I'm missing them already!


Meyer Lemon Applesauce Bars (Vegan)
adapted from Another One Bites the Crust

For the crust:
1/4c sugar
1/4c toasted hazelnuts, chopped fine or ground
3/4c white whole wheat flour
1T cornstarch
3T applesauce
2-3T Earth Balance, melted (or butter)

For the filling:
3/4c applesauce
zest of 1 meyer lemon
1/2c meyer lemon juice
1/2c agave nectar
2t vanilla extract
1/2t baking powder
1/8t salt
3T flour (use white if you're concerned with color)

I followed Nicole's directions exactly, so head over to her site to check them out!  Oh, and definitely store leftovers in the fridge!

For a more authentic version, maybe these would do the trick?


Are you a fan of lemon bars?  I wasn't actually as a kid, but meyer lemons have me running to the store :)  More importantly, have you tried meyer lemons yet???

No comments:

Post a Comment