Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sticky Chicken Thighs

I have a free subscription to Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine and I am always eagerly flagging recipes for my kitchen.  Awhile back, I flagged this recipe for Sticky Chicken Wings and on Thursday, I thought I'd give them a try.  Per usual, I made some small modifications to the recipe to make it my own, including substituting the chicken wings for thighs and drumsticks.

First, I gathered my ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (original recipe calls for light-brown sugar)
  • 1/4 cup fish sauce
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from two lemons)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1-inch piece fresh ginger, smashed and peeled
  • 2 serrano and 1 habanero chile (original recipe calls for 1 serrano or jalapeno chile)
  • 1.3 pounds each of chicken thighs and drumsticks (original recipe calls for 2 pound chicken wings, cut in half at joint)

I loved the bright color of the lemons and peppers!

First I pre-heated the oven to 300 degrees.  Instead of using a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, I decided to use my Paula Deen roasting pan, which hasn't gotten any use since I made Gordon Hamersley's roasted chicken.  In the pan, I whisked together the brown sugar, fish sauce, lemon juice and soy sauce until the sugar dissolved.


I then added the ginger, one serrano chile (sliced) and one habanero chile (sliced) to the sauce.  I tossed the chicken thighs and drumsticks in the sauce and arranged them in a single layer.


I baked the chicken for one hour and then turned the heat up to 450 degrees.  I also turned the thighs and drumsticks over so that the thighs were skin up in the pan.  I wanted to get a nice crispy skin on the chicken thighs.  I baked the chicken for about thirty minutes until the sauce was reduced and the chicken was glazed.

While the chicken was cooking, I boiled some water.  I rinsed and sliced up a head of broccoli and steamed the broccoli to eat with the chicken.


Wow, the chicken was amazing.  The skin was nice and crispy, and there was a nice sweet yet spicy glaze to it.  I couldn't get over how tender and moist the chicken was and the meat was practically falling off the bone!

We washed our meal down by splitting one of our favorite beers - Pretty Things Jack D'Or.

I was so glad that I tried this recipe out, even if I modified it slightly.  I find that I flag or rip out a lot of different recipes from the various cooking magazines I subscribe to but I don't actually make them nearly enough!

Tell me, what is your favorite source to find recipes - blogs, magazines, cookbooks or other websites?

And don't forget to enter my cupcake giveaway here!

No comments:

Post a Comment