Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Buffalo Tofu Lettuce Wraps

I have been in love with my new tofu press.  It drains so much water out of tofu, which helps get a really wonderful texture on my tofu after baking or pan-frying.  It has really inspired me to make a lot of interesting tofu dishes lately, including buffalo tofu lettuce wraps, which Bret and I made together this past weekend.



The ingredients were simple:
  • 1 package of extra firm tofu
  • 1/8 cup of hot buffalo sauce, plus more to taste
  • 1/4 cup of cashews, chopped
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 small head of Boston bibb lettuce, leaves separated
  • Blue cheese dressing to taste
First, we pressed the tofu for about six hours and intermittently drained the excess water.  Once the moisture was really drained from the tofu, we marinated the tofu block in about an 1/8 cup of hot buffalo sauce. 


We let the tofu marinate for about a half hour on each side before cubing it and letting it marinate some more.



Meanwhile, we toasted the chopped cashews in the oven.  You can smell a beautiful nutty aroma from the cashews when they are toasting but you've got to keep an eye on them and stir often.  Trust me, you'll know when they've toasted too long and have burnt!



In addition, we rinsed a small head of Boston bibb lettuce and gave it quite a few spins in our salad spinner. 


Finally, we warmed up the wok with some cooking spray.  Once the pan was hot, we cooked the tofu with the minced garlic until there was a beautiful crust on the tofu.



And just like that, dinner was ready!  We made lettuce wraps with tofu, toasted cashews and blue cheese dressing.  Bret also used a little extra buffalo sauce in his wraps but I, for once in my life, didn't need the extra heat!



My tofu press has me cooking with tofu way more than I used to.  Tell me, what is your favorite way to cook or eat tofu?

No comments:

Post a Comment