Saturday, March 5, 2011

Belgian Deliciousness at Saus

This week has been jam-packed with lots of great eating and Thursday night was no different.  The folks at Saus just opened up this past week and they invited a group of food bloggers to come check them out. 


I've been following Saus' progress for about a year now through their blog and on Twitter, and they have hit a lot of delays along the way.  Since I work with a lot of restaurants in their zoning and licensing matters, I totally understood their frustrations and felt for them every step of the way.  And I definitely understood (although not completely) their feeling of accomplishment as they opened their doors this week!


Our dinner was supposed to start at 6 PM but I met Meghan at Faneuil Hall almost an hour earlier.  We both had some time to kill and we wanted to get some photos of the restaurant before it got too crowded or we lost the natural light.




I absolutely loved the design and decor of the restaurant.  It had a modern feel and the decor included a lot of comic strips.  Chin (one of the owners) explained to us that there is a huge Belgian comic scene and one of his neighbors suggested using these comics as part of the restaurant's decor.



There was also a collection of photos from Bruges and Boston on one wall that were taken by photographer friends.  As Chin described the artwork, I really got a sense of how personal this restaurant was to him and the other masterminds behind Saus.


Saus serves Belgian street food and have only three items on their menu - pommes frites, poutine, and Belgian waffles.  They sadly were awaiting a shipment of cheese curds, so we only got to try the pommes frites and Belgian waffles but they certainly didn't disappoint!


Everything in the restaurant is made in-house and I can also say that everything in the restaurant is also very delicious.  The pommes frites were crispy and not overly-greasy or oily.  While the frites were delicious, the sauces steal the show.  We were lucky enough to try all of the different sauces, but my favorites included the Vampire Slayer (which is made with roasted garlic), the spicy yet refreshing Green Monster (which was a special sauce and not on the regular menu), and a fondue-like cheddar Duvel dip.  With the selection of dips before us, the nine of us easily shared four cones of pommes frites between us.



Saus also serves a deep-fried egg on top of their frites.  When the egg releases its delicious yolk goodness, it can be a bit of a mess but the combination of frites and egg yolk is phenomenal!


After digesting a bit, we moved onto the Belgian waffles.  The waffles were absolutely perfect.  We tried the waffles with three of the sauces - Berry Berry, Salted Caramel, and Lemon Cream.

Belgian Waffle with Berry Berry Sauce

Belgian Waffle with Salted Caramel Sauce
Even though I love anything Salted Caramel, I've got to say that the Lemon Cream sauce was definitely my favorite!

Belgian Waffle with Lemon Cream Sauce

Saus still doesn't have a beer license and I know that some Belgian beers would have gone wonderfully with our meal.  However, they have some interesting non-alcoholic beverage choices and I went for a half and half iced tea.  I did suggest that they get milk or milkshakes since I love the combination of milk with fries.  I know, I'm a weirdo.


I was really impressed with Saus, especially since they have only been open for a couple of days.  I think they are going to do really well with the tourist crowds in Faneuil Hall, along with the late night after-bar crowd (especially since they are open until 2 AM).  I know I'll definitely be back, especially since Bret was pretty jealous I went to Saus without him!

Thanks to Saus for inviting us to check them out!

Full disclosure: The meal at Saus (except for our beverages) was fully complimentary, but as always, my opinion is honest and completely my own.

Saus is located at 33 Union Street, Boston in Faneuil Hall.

Saus on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment