Monday, February 7, 2011

Blissful Brunching

Brunch at Sensing last Sunday was an absolute pleasure. After a superb dinner earlier this month, my expectations were high. Sensing exceeded even those with a most elegant plate of Eggs Benedict and superior service to match.I made my way down to a snow bank dotted Battery Wharf. It was a solo outing today.The host was kind and welcoming as I settled in and he started me off right away with cup of Freshly Brewed Coffee ($4).Smooth and robust with rich cream and two sugars.I appreciated that the coffee pot was left for unlimited self service pours.I settled back in the cozy gray booth and enjoyed the atmosphere. I probably couldn't have gone wrong with the Caramel Apple Spiced Pumpkin Pancakes or the Caramelized Pear and Pomegranate Brioche French Toast. But I couldn't deter from my brunch staple this morning, especially after my waitress commented that the Eggs Benedict is her favorite dish on the menu. But before the main course, some tasty orange scones. Accompanied by an impressive spread of jams. These scones were soft and moist, sweet and crumbly. I slathered one half in raspberry preserves the other saw a knife full of grape jam.It wasn't long before I convinced myself to splurge on a Mimosa ($8). So glad I did. Bright and juicy, teased with pulp, sweet fruity orange juice with a dry bubbly finish; this was a necessary compliment to my Eggs Benedict ($15) Vermont Jambon, Sauce Hollandaise, Truffle Salsa. First of all, can we talk about those vegetables?! We all know asparagus and hollandaise are a match made in heaven, but carrots?! Who knew the vivid orange root vegetable worked so well with a breakfast dish. The tomato proved a juicy delight, stuffed with a flaky breadcrumb and herb mixture. Savory baked potato wedges were dusted in herbs de Provence, a refined take on the classic homefry.That hollandaise is buttery, lemony, egg yolk bliss. The velvet emulsion cascaded over two perfectly poached eggs and pooled onto folded slices of ham. I'm not usually big on ham, but this wasn't your average slice of deli lunch meat. Superior in quality and locally sourced from Vermont, it came layered over a delicately toasted English muffin. Finished off with a with a truffle salsa, this eggs Benedict outshines most others. Have brunch here someday, won't you?
Sensing on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment