Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mushroom Cabbage Tart

Remember my cabbage saga?  I made some delicious recipes, but I forgot to share one with you.   Originally a free-form galette, I took a different route to test out my new tart pan ;)




I liked the tart as-is, but I think I might play around even more next time, leaving the hard-boiled egg from the filling and instead serve topped with a poached egg!




Mushroom Cabbage Tart
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
Serves 4-8, depending on what else you serve with it

The filling can also be prepped ahead of time and refrigerated until you're ready to assemble the tart.

For the crust:
1/2c oat flour (1/2c rolled oats, ground in a spice/coffee grinder or food processor)
1/2c spelt flour
1/4c ground flax seed
1/2t salt
.6oz gruyere, finely grated
2T coconut oil, melted
1/4c milk

For the filling:
2T butter
1 lg onion, finely diced
4oz shiitake, destemmed and caps diced
1/2t dried thyme
1T chopped fresh basil
1t dried dill
6c thinly sliced napa cabage
1t salt
1/2c water
fresh ground pepper
1/4c chopped parsley
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
1/4c greek yogurt
1t vinegar (I think I used cider vinegar?)

Preheat oven to 400deg.

For the tart shell, mix together flours, flax, salt and gruyere.  Add coconut oil and milk, stir until mixture becomes crumbly.  Press into tart pan (a springform would also work) and bake in preheated oven for 20min.  Remove and place on a cooling rack.

I followed Deb's instructions for the filling, so check out her recipe.  Bake in preheated 400deg oven for 25min, until filling is lightly browned.  I served it with some horseradish mustard that I had been meaning to try, but you can make your own horseradish sauce if you'd like.


No comments:

Post a Comment