Thursday, February 10, 2011

Reworking Leftovers with Pita Pizza!

Because I only cook for two people, I often find myself with a lot of leftovers.  I actually love leftovers because I'd rather bring leftovers in for lunch than buy an over-priced or unhealthy lunch at work.  On Tuesday night, I had a decent amount of leftover roasted cauliflower and pesto-marinated chicken from Monday night's dinner.  Bret brought some into work for lunch on Tuesday so I wanted to find a way to re-work these leftovers in a creative way.

My immediate thought was to make a pizza with these ingredients but I didn't have enough leftovers to make a whole pizza.  So I decided to make individual-sized pita pizzas that were super easy and really flavorful.

To start, I placed two flax, oat bran and whole wheat pitas right on the rack in the oven at 350 degrees.  While the pitas were crisping up, I sliced both the roasted cauliflower and the pesto-marinated chicken into bite size pizzas.  By the time I was done chopping, I was ready to put my pizzas together.

I took the pitas out of the oven and spread some leftover pizza sauce on them.  I then added dollops of mascarpone cheese, which I thought would go well with the fig and gorgonzola pesto.  I then topped it with the leftover roasted cauliflower and pesto-marinated chicken slices.  I finished the pizza off with one more dollop of mascarpone cheese in the middle.


I placed the pizzas on an aluminum foil-lined tray in the oven for about eight minutes and the pita pizzas were done.  I absolutely loved this slightly sweet pizza and it turned our leftover ingredients into a fun little meal!


You'll have to forgive the photos.  I was even too lazy to use anything more than my point and shoot!

Tell me, what are some dishes you've made to turn leftovers into a whole new meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment