Thursday, March 3, 2011

Olive Oil Granola

Thank you to everyone who voted for me!!  If you haven't yet, there's still time!  Head  over to Marx Foods and vote for my Blueberry Cherry Crisp with Grains of Paradise Ice Cream! until the end of the day Friday!  You're the best :)

If you haven't already figured it out, I'm a huge fan of the salty-sweet combo.  Falling under this category is the olive-oil granola Alicia sent me, the sweetness from the maple syrup is balanced by a bit of kosher salt... it was gone alarmingly fast!  I knew I'd be making it again (and again), but I tried to make it a tad bit healthier to account for how quickly I consumed it.  Alone, on yogurt, with milk... you get the idea.


The result was just as tasty as the original.  I should note that this granola (as I prepared it) doesn't have many clumps/clusters.  There seem to be several thoughts on how to achieve this, but I thought I'd see if anyone has a tried and true method?  Is it in the ingredients or technique?  Chime in!


Olive Oil Granola
adapted from Alicia & the NY Times
Yield ~7c

I adored the pecans in this granola, but feel free to play around and find your favorite combination.  Also, add any dried fruits you like after granola has cooled.

4-5c rolled oats
1 1/4c nuts (I went with a mix of salted pecans and almonds)
1/2c pumpkin seeds
1t kosher salt
3/4t ground cinnamon
1/2t freshly ground cardamom
1/2c grade B maple syrup
1/2c extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 300deg.

Combine dry ingredients (oats through cardamom) in a large bowl and mix well.  Add maple syrup and oil stir until well combined, all the oats should be nicely coated.

Pour granola onto foil-lined cookie sheet (you may need two) and bake for 40-50min, stirring every 10min.  Granola with be toasty and golden when it's done.  Let cool and then store in an airtight container.  Tightly sealed ;)



Do you have a favorite granola recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment