Thursday, December 8, 2011

Lunch at Russell House Tavern

Believe it or not, I haven't been blogging as much! It might still seems as though I am, but I've been posting 2 to 3 times a week lately as opposed to a whopping 4 to 5. I've skipped out on a lot of potential restaurant reviews; at home I haven't felt much like writing (more like decorating our tree and wrapping Christmas presents!) and when I'm out I haven't always been lugging my camera with me. Oh well. That's what the iPhone camera (and Instagram app) comes in handy for. Anyways, today I'm back with a fun restaurant post!
A solid option for lunching in Cambridge is at Russell House Tavern, this Harvard Square gastropub operated by The Grafton Group (Temple Bar, Grafton Street, Redline) opened a over a year ago with much fanfare, and I still had yet to make my way in. Along with my Mom and sister, we were famished and in serious need of some quality grub to appease our holiday shopping induced appetites. My sister had previously been in for dinner and drinks, and was happy to return to check out the lunch menu. I was excited to finally pay them a visit in general.
We wandered in, shopping bags in tow, down a wide alley/brick patio space off of bustling JFK Street. Crossed electrical wires with exposed light bulbs dangling overhead added a touch of ambiance before we even set foot inside. A hostess greeted us right away at the upstairs entrance (where a smaller bar area resides) and we made our way down a wide black staircase done up in evergreen boughs and white lights to the sprawling, polished basement space. Here, another hostess warmly welcomed and ushered us to a table just as quickly, offering to take our coats along the way. Our amicable waiter met us with waters once we settled in, and impressed us with his knowledge of the menu and swift service for the duration.
I started with a Bloody Mary, this classic brunch standby over a formidable sounding craft cocktail was chosen more out of necessity! (Holiday Stroll + Delux + Beehive = hungover.) Our waiter mentioned that the bartender used to run the cocktail program at Drink - so I didn't doubt his prowess in the mixology department. I decided to forgo the classic BM for the Maria Basilico ($10) (the MB!) made with Basil Infused Sobieski Vodka, Meletti Amaro, RHT Bloody Mix and a cucumber garnish. If you were looking for the typically bold and spicy, this one is not for you. The Meletti Amaro, which is a dry tawny liqueur combining anise and saffron added sweet and herbaceous notes which tempered the typically spicy mix. I appreciated this variation on a classic, it's definitely fun when bartenders try new things and take some risks. We started by slurping two oysters each from the raw bar, it was East coast all the way with local briny Island Creeks ($2.50) for my Mom and sister, while I opted for one of those and one of the West coast varietal, a plump, ultra clean flavored Kushi ($2.50). The oysters came with a duo of equally appeasing sweet pickle mignonette and Old Bay cocktail sauce.
My sister and I both chose from the array of sandwiches, accompanying them are your choice of fries, greens, or half portions of each. Pleasantly surprised by this option, once we got our plates we noted the halved french fry and salad portions could have easily been a full serving! The greens were fresh and lightly dressed, the brown crispy fries nicely seasoned and served with ketchup and a really tasty garlic infused mayo.
Leah enjoyed her Grilled Chicken Sandwich ($11) with melted talleggio, pickled red onions, local tomatoes and arugula while I chose the Hickory Smoked Pork Loin Sandwich ($11) with melted sharp cheddar, crispy onions, sweet apples and a ginger maple aioli. This sandwich was flawless in every way, exploding with comforting flavors and piled high with well executed ingredients, which still managed to stay nicely contained by the soft bread. The thinly sliced pork, tender and juicy took to the crispy onions like bread to butter while the red apples added contrast, imparting the perfect touch of sweetness. The ginger maple aioli was inventive and delicious, and the melted sharp cheddar played its part to seal the deal.
The Dirty Caesar ($8) with Chicken ($5) ordered by my Mom proved a well rounded salad. Spicy anchovy croutons were a major highlight laced within a nicely dressed bed of crisp lettuce and grilled chicken strips.
Executive Chef Michael Scelfo's locally sourced and seasonally focused American fare is crowd pleasingly classic with a contemporary edge. The reputation that precedes this trendy tavern is well justified, with a warm welcoming staff and a clean, comfortable space; for lunch this afternoon I was nothing short of impressed.
Russell House Tavern on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment