Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Boston Common Coffee Company

I have love affair with Salem Street. I've loved it for quite sometime, but I'm officially declaring my love today in writing. Not only are some of my favorite places to eat on this street, but also some of my favorite places to shop. One of those beloved spots is a quaint neighborhood coffee shop.
I have always enjoyed Boston Common Coffee Co. ever since I first wandered in two years ago. On Sunday morning I did not feel like making breakfast and I remembered they make a tasty egg & cheese on a croissant. They also have amazing quiches. Those cravings flew right out the window when I strolled in and saw the panini special.
If you know me, you know I need my egg fix on a weekend morning before I can even think about eating lunch, even if I wake up at 1pm. (Or see: Breakfast Bonanza). It was only 11am and all I could think about was I needed to order that sandwich.
I recognized the guy behind the counter, and to my surprise he acted like he recognized me too. He was probably just making me feel welcome but the way he said "How've ya been?" made me feel like we were old pals that hadn't seen each other in awhile. Then he told me I was real chipper for a Sunday morning. HA. He didn't see me Saturday morning, but I'll take the compliment. I guess I was chipper! It was a warm sunny morning and I had the whole day open to wander the city and take pictures to my hearts content. And I was getting to eatthis for breakfast.
In hindsight I realized this would have paired better with a mixed green salad. The tortellini salad was almost too heavy for 11am. When you order a panini you get a free side salad, in addition to the mixed green or tortellini option, there is also a white bean salad or tabouli to choose from. (P.S. tortellini costs $1.00 extra.) All the tables were full, so I took a seat here:
And sipped on a single latte with whole milk and sugar. It has never been a contest - that whole, WHOLE vs. SKIM debate.

I read quite a few health food blogs where lately I've noticed people coming around to whole milk. I've always been a whole milk gal.
The Pierre was superb. Melted brie oozed out of the perfectly toasted bread, surrounding thin crisp slices of green apple and a light layer of fig spread. The arugula got slightly lost in the rest of the goodness, but did not go completely unnoticed. I took my time eating, people watching and relaxing on the comfy couch. I took a picture when the place had cleared out at one point
The crowd comes and goes in waves. There was no line when I walked in, but at certain points there was one back to the trash cans. The staff kept it moving quickly. Lots of patrons took coffee to-go, and lots more were eating-in. The space is real homey, emitting the feel of a living room in a suburban house with big leather chairs, a wood burning stove and an Oriental rug.
The large green plants bring it all together but the wall decor could use some work. The local artwork is a welcome touch but I remember them looking much more sophisticated the last time I was in. In a final selling point, they allow dogs. I think it's nice that if you're out for a Sunday stroll with the pooch, they can come in and hang with you while you enjoy your coffee.
The North End spot houses the original location; opened in 2004, but they also have locations Downtown at 531 Washington St. open 7 days a week, and in The Financial District at 10 High St. open Monday through Friday.
Boston Common Coffee Company on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment