Monday, March 1, 2010

Sweet Potatoes & Brussels Sprouts

I've probably mentioned it before, but I hated brussels sprouts as a kid. Whenever my mom made them, they had to be at the other end of the table :) I don't mind them now, but didn't fall in love until the Foodbuzz Festival. After this I knew I needed to try again, and they would find a way to my heart.

When I saw Tara's Sweet Potato Gnocchi w/Brussels Sprouts and Walnuts, I couldn't wait to get into my kitchen :) I took a slightly different approach, as I had some Sweet Potato Papparadelle in my pantry. It was a great pairing, and I'd use this preparation for sprouts as a topping for a baked sweet potato too!!



Sweet Potato Pasta w/Shaved Brussels Sprouts
adapted from Seven Spoons

Serves 2

6oz sweet potato papparadelle
10oz brussles sprouts, trimmed, lightly steamed, thinly sliced
1 1/2T olive oil
1T butter
2-4T chopped toasted walnuts
freshly grated parmesan

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.

Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in medium nonstick skillet. Once butter is melted and beginning to brown, add thinly sliced brussels sprouts. Saute until browned and caramelized.

Add salt to pasta water and cook pasta until al dente. Drain and transfer to skillet with brussels sprouts. Add a little pasta water if needed to coat pasta if it's a little dry.

Transfer pasta to plates, top with chopped walnuts and parmesan right before serving.

**Edited to add: I'm submitting this to this week's BSI: Brussels Sprouts, hosted by the lovely and creative Sophia!**

No comments:

Post a Comment