Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Boston Flower & Garden Show

I attended this annual event on the last day it was held - Sunday, March 28th. It took place at the Seaport World Trade Center (as opposed to past years where it was held at the Bayside Expo Center.) What I thought would be an abundant display of garden paths I could walk through and lush blossoming flowers to stroll underneath, was a mere display of landscapes with "do not enter" signs.
I had a good time while there, snapping photos, taking in the new experience, and enjoying the company of my best friend Jen and our Mom's. 
Our Moms are avid flower show go-ers and even they admitted it was a mediocre year, compared. I guess I had high expectations and was therefore slightly let down. The more I thought about it post show, the $20 price tag left a bitter taste. We were all in agreement that it was about $10-15 over-priced. The landscape spreads in the middle of the expo were tasteful and well done. However, the perimeter was lined with a good 2-3 rows of vendor booths giving the show more of a craft fair feel. I love a good craft fair, just not one I have to pay for. The flowers and plants for sale were few and far between. Yes, there was garden decor, flower paraphernalia, all that good stuff, but, there was also jewelry, clothing, and in general random knick-knacks. I estimate the vendor booth to garden exhibit ratio to be about 2-1. Anyways, here are some of the landscapes I enjoyed through the camera lens.
This plot had some really neat stonework and I got a kick out of the whiskey decanter just chillin' on one of the benches. 
I loved the Feng-Shui garden and the large tribal masks hidden within the bamboo shoots.
And of course the backyard staples like waterfalls and mini foot bridges ;)
We found a quaint little country house with flowers growing out of the roof.
Around the other side, we discovered a driftwood inspired outdoor shower and a rose petal lined bathtub.
The Trustees of Reservation exhibit had engaging staff members and a fancy herb garden.
Then we came upon a rustic garden shed
with dried herbs and antique looking paraphernalia.  
Aside from the diverse garden scenes, which by the way if I was looking to redo my non-existent backyard - would have given me some great ideas, we discovered banquet rooms in the back where individuals submitted their personal accomplishments and creations. One room was filled with gorgeous succulents and cactus (I was so engaged I forgot to take out the camera for them!) and the other filled with lovely flower arrangements, table spreads, and funky looking pieces of art. I did happen to capture a just a few of these.
Here is an interesting piece with hard angles and bright lemons and limes.
A bold green bouquet with Artichokes caught my eye.
It included Granny smith apples and broccoli. How cool!
And just when we thought we'd seen every vendor booth in all its glory we stumbled upon this:The Gourmet Grater. I can smell the garlic just looking at the picture. The saleswoman was good, I'll give her that as she had Jen and I sold in no time. These small ceramic plates with with sharp spiked indents act as a garlic press, a ginger grater, a cheese shredder and a chocolate mincer (chocolate martinis anyone?) all in one. I have a terrible garlic press, I'm secretly afraid of cooking with ginger and I make a damn good martini which would be even better with some sort of shaved garnish! A little friction between the food of choice and the plate, and the remains are easily swept off into said dish or drink (mini-brush and garlic roller included!) For a price tag of $20 we could not pass this up. I'll definitely give a picture demonstration with mine the next time I cook with it. All in all I'm happy we attended the show. Perhaps my expectations were set to high from the get-go. I'm not promising a return visit next year, but it definitely made for an enjoyable Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment