Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hummus Pancakes

I told you I did something a little crazy with the root veggie hummus I had made.  And I don't even know whether this falls under breakfast, lunch or dinner.  Maybe it's best as brunch or breakfast for dinner!


I've had pumpkin pancakes, so I thought, why not put another type of vegetable puree in there?  Thus the birth of these root veggie hummus pancakes.


It took awhile to figure out how to serve them...  I wasn't quite sold on the idea of maple syrup (although you never know), so I drew on traditional hummus flavors instead.  Turns out, the Lemony Tahini Dressing almost stole the show!


Root Veggie Hummus Pancakes
Serves 2

1/2c + 2T flour (white whole wheat or AP)
3/4t baking powder
1/4t baking soda
1/4t salt
1/2c milk (dairy or nondairy)
1 egg
1T oil
1/3c root veggie hummus
Lemon Tahini Dressing, recipe below

Add dry ingredients to a medium bowl (flour through salt) and mix until well combined.  Add remaining ingredients and stir together (some lumps will remain, but you shouldn't see any dry ingredients).  Make pancakes on a preheated skillet or nonstick fry pan over medium heat.   I made pancakes using 1/4c batter for each and made 8.  If you do this in batches, you can keep extras in a warm oven, under foil, or in the microwave to stay warm.  Serve with Lemon Tahini Dressing.

Lemon Tahini Dressing

My dressing came out a bit thin, so I adjusted the recipe below to give it a little more body.  Feel free to tweak it according to your own tastes.

1T finely diced scallion or red onion
1T chopped parsley (or cilantro)
1 small garlic clove, pressed or minced with a pinch of salt
1 1/2T lemon juice
1T tahini
1T warm water
1T extra virgin olive oil

Add all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until well combined.




What are the craziest pancakes you've ever had? 

No comments:

Post a Comment