Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Root Veggie Hummus

I keep meaning to let you know that I finally wrote an About Me page!  Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.  My recipe index has also been updated, including the more recent recipes I've created and links to others I've tried and enjoyed.

Ok, on to today's recipe, which happened to be born from a kitchen goof.  I was steaming some butternut squash and parsnip while doing a few other things (what's new?), and let them cook too long, to the point of mushy.  No longer good for their original purpose, I came up with this root veggie hummus. 



Root Veggie Hummus
Recipe by Shannon

2c cubed (peeled) butternut squash
1c cubed (peeled) parsnip
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (peel them if you want a really smooth texture)
1/4t kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2t cumin
1/4t freshly grated nutmeg
dash cayenne
1-2T liquid (cream, coconut milk or extra virgin olive oil)

Steam butternut squash and parsnip cubes until they are soft and have lost integrity, or they fall apart when you test them with a fork.  Combine cooked squash and parsnips with remaining ingredients (except liquid) in food processor or blender and process, adding liquid until hummus is smooth and has reached desired consistency.





This dip was good as a traditional hummus, with crudite or tortilla chips (although I'd advise against Red Hot Blues).   It also worked extremely well as an omelet filling, and I'd imagine it'd make some killer ravioli.   Hmm, hummus ravioli...  that sounds awesome.









I did something else a little crazy with this hummus, but you'll have to wait for that to show up in a later post ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment