Sunday, April 4, 2010

Chicken Chimichangas

The warm weather on Thursday had me craving an ice cold Corona with lime and/or a margarita on the rocks with salt. Both were satisfied come Friday night, beginning with a margarita or two and ending with multiple Coronas I whipped up a quick and easy marg with Jose Cuervo mix. We were having company for dinner and I decided to cook Mexican food again to pair with my drink cravings. I prepared an appetizer spread consisting of homemade guacamole, a store bought salsa and two types of Tostitos tortilla chips- Scoops and Lime!
The jarred Santa Barbara brand salsa that I picked out on a whim ended up being a big hit with plentiful chunks of roasted red pepper, black beans and corn. For the batch of homemade guacamole, I scored two perfectly ripe avocados. This is the first key step to a good bowl of guac, no doubt.

Daisy's Guacamole
-2 ripe avocados, skinned, pitted, diced and finely mashed.
-2 limes, juiced
-2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, diced
-2 gloved of garlic, minced
-salt and pepper to taste

It's a fairly straightforward recipe, the general rule of thumb is one avocado to every one ingredient! Simply combine all ingredients and serve immediately.
The avocados produced a lovely bright green dip speckled with dark green cilantro, definitely deserving of a photo shoot!
Nothing hits the spot like creamy, buttery guacamole laced with fragrant cilantro, refreshing bursts of lime and contrasting hints of garlic.
For dinner I made Roast Chicken Chimichangas. Instead of detailing out the recipe since it isn't my own, just click on the link provided above!
In the mix we have pre cooked and shredded chicken, diced green chiles, diced scallions, garlic, cheddar cheese and cumin.
I had made these once before so I knew they were easily prepared and served a large quantity. I made us two each, though most of us were full after one! Nothing wrong with leftovers!
I served Near East Spanish rice on the side, which I forgot to take a picture of. Both the guacamole and the chimis called for garlic, so the highlight of the meal preparation was getting to try out my new garlic grater plate purchased last Sunday at the Boston Flower & Garden Show. Proudly presenting: The Gourmet Grater.
Our grater is Handmade, hand painted, and triple glazed in Spain. It is made out of the finest white clay. Each plate is slightly different so no two are exactly the same.
First, you place a single clove in the peeler, press and roll. Then you move the garlic in any direction over the serrated ceramic and voila, the garlic is grated in seconds flat. Then you brush the garlic paste into your dish. It's super easy and I can't wait to try it out with other ingredients. The Gourmet Grater is dishwasher safe too.
After dinner, we all switched to sipping Coronas which were generously provided by our guests.
We were one beer short of polishing off the 12 pack.
Cheers to a fun evening spent eating and drinking with friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment