Sunday, April 25, 2010

City Walks

Boston is a great walking city. I should know, I walk everywhere. Saturday mine and Tricia's adventures-on-foot lead us to shopping on Hanover Street and in Downtown Crossing. We also walked to the Boston Common Loews to take in a flick. We felt sort of guilty being in the movie theater on such a ridiculously nice day, but Date Night as recommended to us the evening before was calling our name. Hilariously cheesy with Tina Fey and Steve Carell, we both really enjoyed it. I feel like it didn't get good reviews? It's not a movie I'm going to tell you to rush out and see ASAP, you'll be fine if you wait for DVD. But if you are planning a movie date, it's worth considering. After this outing of pushing though and around tourists who don't understand how to cross the street, I needed a glass of wine. Stat. At one point among the construction in Downtown Crossing we were standing in a 20 person long line to cross the intersection. Absurdity. Cars were not coming, and people were not moving! At another intersection on the walk home I blurted out from the back of a crowd "why are we stopping!?" This is so not like me, but there was a white "walk-man" present on the neon sign. If you stop when you should walk, then your not gonna get to cross the street at all. Am I right? Yikes.

Before my walk on Sunday, I fueled up with breakfast cheffed by Adam.
I drank a spiked coffee.
Spiked not because I'm trying to get my buzz on at 11am, but because I ran out of sugar and this makes my coffee sweet! Adam headed out on a bike ride and I headed out to wander and take pictures.
Spring.is.everywhere.
Christopher Columbus Park right down the street is home to some of the most beautiful Tulips I've ever seen.
They go on for days. Glorious.
The most vibrant colors illuminate the park and put a huge smile on my face. They smell sweet and fragrant too.
The park also boasts a picturesque fountain.
And beauteous trees in full bloom.
I love the twists and turns of the trunks and the sporadic growth of the branches in bloom giving the trees a personality all their own.
Oh, I'm trying something new. (Did you notice?) Some photo editing and cropping. What do you think?
I headed across the park and out onto the docks of Long Wharf North.
~Low tide~
Check out this old rusty cannon.
I love being down by the water. It's a welcome calm. There's not a mob of people who don't know how to cross the street. Just me and the docks. I chatted with my Mom on the phone and stopped to write for a little bit in the midst of all this photographing.
A collection of buoys hang on the fence at the entrance to the Boston Waterboat Marina.
I continued along the Harborwalk.
Purple Converse due East ;)
The wharf has intricate stonework right under your feet, and amazing views across the harbor in all directions.
It also has some old maps and a few history lessons if reading about history is your thing (Ahem, Adam.) If he was with me I'd consider popping in The Landing for a drink!
The last time I was at the Landing was on a work outing. I'm keeping it in mind for the next nice weekend....
I got hungry.
All that walking worked up an appetite.
If you're ever in the city and looking for something to do after your Faneuil Hall shopping spree, your lunch in the North End, or your trip to the Aquarium, follow the bright blue signs and take in a Downtown Boston Harborwalk. I know I'll be taking many more as the warm weather sets in for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment