Sunday, April 11, 2010

Easter Breads

For Easter my mom requested some of the breads she had growing up...  babka, poppyseed bread and nut bread.  They all use the same sweet bread for the base, with raisins added to the babka and the poppyseed and nut breads being rolled out and filled before baking.  They all came out pretty good, although I should've made them into smaller loaves (they were pretty massive!


Babka

You can find my recipe for Babka here, adapted from several of my great grandmothers recipes.  This year I used poppyseed filling from a can, but you can be sure that I'll try to make my own next year!


Nut Bread & Poppyseed Bread


Nut Bread Filling (for 1 loaf, or half of babka recipe w/o raisins):


1/4lb ground walnuts
1/4c brown sugar
hefty sprinkle cinnamon (to taste)
1 egg white, whisked
1t butter

Mix well with a fork.  If you need a little more liquid, use up to 1T warm milk.  Spread out evenly over dough, then roll up!  Secure ends under the loaf of the bread, allow it to rise for a second time (2hrs) and then brush with egg wash and bake for ~35min, until it sounds hollow when tapped.   Yum!


Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment