Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easy and Healthy Spinach and Egg White Omelette

On Easter morning, I woke up and wanted to make myself a light and healthy breakfast to kick start what would be a long day with Easter and Opening Day activities.  I had just received a huge order of groceries from Peapod on Friday afternoon, so I had plenty of fresh and healthy ingredients to work with and decided to make an egg white omelette.

I heated up my large frying pan on the stove top with a small splash of olive oil over medium heat.  I started out by adding a half a small yellow onion that I had roughly chopped.


I then added the garlic along with a half a handful of frozen spinach.


When the spinach had started to cook and release some of the water, I added enough liquid egg whites to make a thin layer of egg whites for my omelette.  I let the egg whites sit for a bit in the pan to cook through before adding some crushed red pepper flakes, fresh cracked black pepper and a dash of salt.  When the eggs were starting to cook through, I lowered my heat a bit and added some sliced low fat mozzarella.


This where you need to be patient and just let the egg whites cook without disturbing them.  When the eggs looked to have a nice light yellow color and the cheese was melted, I folded the omelette and let it cook for a few more minutes.  Because I was using a non-stick pan, the omelette slid off very easily onto the plate.


This is an omelette that I've made many times although I vary on the vegetables with whatever is in my freezer or fridge.  I find that the onions and garlic add a lot of flavor so that you don't need to add any sauces or, dare I say, ketchup that I often add to eggs.  This was a generous-sized breakfast that really filled me up while remaining healthy - perfect for a weekend breakfast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment