Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Things You Need To See

1) This little photo shoot captures a plate of food I like to call the best salad I have ever tasted. At least, as of late. I know bold statements like that are often taken literally. I've had a lot of good salads. This one is up there scoring perfect notes in both taste and presentation. Drumroll please....The Roasted Beet Salad ($9) is served with warm goat cheese, fresh orange segments, sweet spiced walnuts and rosemary dressing and you can get it at Tavolino in Westborough, MA.
Speared in place with a large sprig of rosemary; a delicate umbrella of red beet balances over a layer of fried goat cheese, followed by a golden beet, then another layer of fried goat cheese and finally, sandwiched with another red beet bathing in a pool of creamy rosemary dressing.
Since we're on the subject of Tavolino, I might as well brag about their appetizer of Wild Boar Gnocchi ($12). The generous chunks of boar are braised in Sangiovese wine and served with super fresh potato dumplings, tomatoes and white truffle oil. Located just west of Boston, Tavolino is a pretty fabulous establishment all around. You can read a more comprehensive review from my first visit here.

2) The Chocolate Bar at Max Brenner. Their newest location is at 745 Boylston Street in the Back Bay. Hopefully I'll get a full review of my brunch up soon but in the meantime....MILKSHAKES! They are phenominal and that's really all there is to it.
I drank the popular Eighties Milkshake ($7.95) made with milk chocolate ganache, vanilla bourbon ice cream and a crunchy chocolate shell. Tricia enjoyed the Strawberry White Chocolate Smoothie ($7.75) made with white chocolate truffle, yogurt and strawberries. The thick and frothy shakes are served in their signature Alice Cup - the opening rim of the cup is meant to look like the Cheshire cat's smile. (Sure, okay!) The stainless steel straws were pretty fun, too!
I must say the staff at Max Brenner are some of the nicest around. I was really impressed with the service for a number of reasons and I'll get to the details soon.

3) I'm actually not sure you need to see what I did on Saturday night. But I needed a third thing. With my p.i.c. (partner in crime, yes?) at Bricco. Posed? Candid? Classy? You be the judge. NV Prosecco Brut, Mionetto, Veneto ($9) | Espresso Tini ($13) Stolichnaya vanilla vodka, crème de cocoa, Kahlua, espresso. Everyone needs a good espresso martini in their lives. Especially me at 1:30am on a Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment