Sunday, April 17, 2011

Orzo Pesto Salad

So...  I've been in a funk lately, sorry about the lack of posting here!  Luckily I already had some dog therapy scheduled for this weekend  :)

Sampson! (cell phone pic)

A 5mi hike with the boys, cake baking (details to come), spectating, another good run, and I'm feeling more like myself.  I bit the bullet and signed up for a few tri's this season on Friday, so that helped too!  I guess that means I'm officially in training?  ;)


When I was making some lunches for last week, I recalled reading a post about an Orzo & Broccoli Pesto Salad from Heidi's new book.  I hadn't written down the recipe, but I had picked up some broccoli.  Here's what I came up with...


Orzo Pasta Salad
inspired by Heidi Swanson
serves 2

2c broccoli, cut into small florets  (this was one head for me)
1/2c whole wheat orzo, cooked
3-4T pesto (jarred or your own, I happened to have some from Italy!)
2T greek yogurt
chickpeas or smoked salmon
lemon zest (I didn't have any on hand, but this would be a great addition)

Bring a medium pot of water to a boil.  In the meantime, fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.  Add broccoli to the boiling water, cook a couple of minutes.  Remove the broccoli and immediately plunge into the ice water (this will stop the cooking and retain the bright green color).

Add a healthy shake of salt and the orzo, cook to al dente.  Drain broccoli and cooked orzo, then transfer to a large bowl (use the same one from the ice water, emptied & dried).  Add pesto, greek yogurt, lemon zest (if using) salt and pepper.  Taste and adjust seasonings.

If desired, add 1/3c chickpeas or 1oz smoked salmon for a little extra protein.  I tried both, and I preferred the chickpeas ;)

Battle Orzo Pesto Salad


Who will be watching the Boston Marathon tomorrow?  I'll be volunteering at the 10k elite water stop after riding some of the course in the morning.  Any runners out there???  Let me know what you're wearing and I'll be sure to keep my eyes out for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment