Sunday, April 10, 2011

Chewy Chocolate and Peanut Butter Chip Cookies

After another quick overnight work trip to Martha's Vineyard on Thursday, I found myself feeling really lethargic when I returned home on Friday.  Bret and I had dinner reservations for Friday evening but we decided to cancel the reservations and just stay in for the night.  I knew we made the right decision because after sleeping in on Saturday morning, I felt like a new person.  I managed to do a load of laundry, clean out my email inboxes, and even run along the Charles River for about three miles - all before noon.

The sun was shining and I had the whole day ahead of me.  Bret asked me if I had any interest in baking up some whole wheat chocolate chip cookies.  I made these cookies about a month ago and Bret seriously couldn't get enough of them.

I followed the same recipe as the whole wheat chocolate chip cookies as I made the cookie dough.


But when it came time to add the chocolate chips, I decided to switch it up a little and do a combination of semi-sweet chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.


I added a cup and a half of chocolate chips to the cookie dough.


And then I added a cup and a half of peanut butter chips.


The recipe tells you to chill the dough overnight but I just put it in the fridge for about two hours before I preheated the oven to 375 degrees and spooned the cookie dough out onto parchment-lined baking trays.  I took my time baking the cookies by putting in one tray at a time to bake for about eight minutes per tray while I caught up on some of my favorite blogs.  After the cookies cooled, I plated them and maybe tried one (or two) while they were still warm.


The chewy chocolate and peanut butter chip cookies were even better than the original version.  I loved the addition of the peanut butter chips to the cookie dough and was so glad I made the substitution.


I was so glad I spent a few hours baking on Saturday and I'm looking forward to spending the rest of the weekend outdoors enjoying this gorgeous weather.

What have you been up to this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment