Friday, April 29, 2011

Soy Ginger Salmon

Happy Friday! Happy Royal Wedding Day!

This recipe is inspired by the way my Mom used to always prepare Salmon. It's comforting and familiar and involves baking the mild orange fish in a ginger, soy, teriyaki and lime based marinade. I was pretty "lazy" last night and only took two photographs of my ingredients / prep work. That being said, there isn't a whole lot to this preparation. And sometimes ingredient photos are a pain in the butt.
At least we have some pretty looking green and yellow peppers. Seasoned with salt & pepper and sauteed in a little olive oil the simple preparation compliments the range of salty, sweet and garlicky flavors in the salmon recipe I will do my best to detail from memory below. The amount of ingredients are generally proportionate to the size of the piece of fish. I had about a pound.
Ingredients
1/2 cup Soy sauce
2 tablespoons Teriyaki sauce
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger, grated
1 lime, juiced
1 lb salmon fillet
1/2 green pepper, sliced lengthwise
1/2 yellow pepper, sliced lengthwise
1 cup jasmine or white rice

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the first five ingredients in a baking dish. Add the salmon and marinate for about 15 minutes, brushing the marinade over the piece of fish a few times to coat the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until fish is cooked through - it should flake to the touch of a fork. As the fish bakes the marinade will take on a sticky glaze like quality.Meanwhile, I sauteed my peppers and simmered a cup of jasmine rice on the stove. The salmon would also work well with a pairing of asparagus or green beans, or whatever crispy green vegetable you had on hand or happened to be craving. The fish and peppers are filling on their own, but I'm partial to a fluffy forkful of jasmine rice, maybe even doused in a little more soy sauce. The soy and teriyaki sauces mingle to form a flavorful base for the mild fish accented with bright bursts of lime and potent ginger. The fish itself is flaky yet filling, and not to mention a healthy dose of Omega 3s.It has been awhile since I enjoyed cooked Salmon (I eat sashimi or smoked more often these days) but it used to be a staple in my weeknight meal rotations. It actually used to be my favorite fish, but I ate it all the time at restaurants and cooked it so much that eventually it was too much of a good thing!I'm glad I thought to bring it back. Plus, it's super easy to make. Did you see how small that list of ingredients was? And I had lunch leftovers! Salmon heats up quite well the next day. What's your favorite type of fish to cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment