Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hominy!

Out of curiosity, I purchased two cans of hominy and they've sat in my pantry for...  well, I don't want to admit how long ;)  Hominy, it turns out, is maize (corn) that has been alkali-treated to remove the hull and germ.  When dried and ground into a flour, it is the basis of masa harina (think corn tortillas).
white hominy (Image Source)

I made two recipes, and enjoyed the different texture hominy added to the stews.  I'd throw it in every once in awhile to mix things up, but to be honest I'd probably throw some quinoa in there next time or make some cornbread ;)  They were solid recipes though, so if you're looking to try it out these would be a good place to start.

Green Chile Pork Posole

The first recipe was a Green Chile Pork Posole from Bon Appetit (recipe here).  My only change was to use a jar of tomatillo salsa instead of fresh tomatillos (couldn't find them at the store).  The second was a Turkey & Hominy Chipotle Chili from the NYTimes (found here).

Turkey & Hominy Chipotle Chili


Have you ever tried hominy?  I'm thinking Joanne has the right idea with her hominy puree, maybe I'll have to give it one more shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment