Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Celebration Brunch at Foundry on Elm

After finishing my first 5K on Sunday morning, I went home for a shower and a change of clothes to get ready for Sunday brunch.  Bret made reservations for us at Foundry on Elm to celebrate completing my first road race.  We decided on Foundry on Elm because we wanted to try someplace new for brunch but we also wanted to get away from the marathon crowds downtown.  We took a quick trip on the T to Davis Square and arrived at the restaurant just in time for our 11 AM reservations.


Neither of us have been to Foundry on Elm before but I really liked the vibe of the place.  The restaurant had a distinct brasserie look with red leather banquette and booth seats.  We were seated immediately and we drooled over the menu as we were both famished.

To start, I sipped on a mimosa.  I normally go with a Bloody Mary for brunch but I felt a craving for some bubbly.


Everyone around us were served complimentary bread baskets but our server didn't bring us one until we asked.  Normally we wouldn't fill ourselves up with bread before our meal but we were both so hungry and happy to indulge in the cherry almond scones and slices of banana bread.


We waited a bit and our meals finally arrived.  I normally opt for breakfast dishes but I saw that they had a Croque Madame sandwich and I knew that was what I wanted.  This yummy sandwich had Neuske's ham, gruyere cheese and a fried egg.  It was ridiculously rich and delicious and I easily put away half the sandwich without hesitation.


All of the sandwiches come with either fries or a salad.  I asked if there was any possibility for me to have half fries and half salad.  Our server seemed puzzled by this request so I told her to just bring me fries.  Luckily, Bret got the burger and ordered the salad so we could split the fries and the salad.  I didn't get a photo of Bret's burger but it was unbelievably juicy.  The salad wasn't anything special but fries were nicely thin and crispy.

Davis Square isn't our usual neighborhood for brunch but we're glad we decided to try something new.  Have you tried any place new for brunch lately?

Foundry on Elm is located at 255 Elm Street, Somerville, MA.

Foundry on Elm on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment