Sunday, April 24, 2011

Finally a Visit to Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe

Since I moved to Boston in 2003, I've heard lots of great things about Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe in the South End.  I've heard so many wonderful things about their food, especially their breakfast dishes.  They are open on Saturdays on the weekends, but Bret and I just can't seem to motivate ourselves to get there in time for brunch.  Since the stock market was closed for Good Friday, Bret had the day off of work and we decided to finally visit Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe! 


We arrived a little before 9:30 AM and the restaurant was full.  There wasn't too much of a line and within five minutes, we found ourselves with two stools at the counter.

Bret and I perused the menu and there were a lot of great sweet and savory items to choose from.  I should mention that my friend Justin's family owns Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe.  I had already asked him weeks in advance what his favorite dishes were and we followed his advice closely.

Bret opted for the turkey hash with eggs-over-medium and a side of bacon.  The turkey hash was nicely seasoned and cooked perfectly crispy. 


I chose the mushroom and cheese omelette and added hot peppers to the omelette.  This omelette was no joke and it was absolutely massive!  My omelette also came with a side of homefries and very strangely a salad.  I've never been served a salad with my breakfast but I actually liked having a little side of greens to this heavy breakfast.


Both of our dishes came with a side of toast but it completely wasn't necessary as the portions were so huge!  We washed our breakfast down with two large glasses of orange juice, along with the water that we poured ourselves from the water station.


Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe is a real neighborhood joint where the servings are generous, the prices reasonable, and the seating limited.  The restaurant is cash only and doesn't have a bathroom, which tells you how long this restaurant has been around.  But Charlie's has real character and I loved looking at all of the photos and autographs of the celebrities who have frequented Charlies Sandwich Shoppe.  I'm glad that I finally got to do so too.

Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe is located at 429 Columbus Avenue, Boston, MA.

Charlie's Sandwich Shoppe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment