Friday, April 1, 2011

Cilantro Habanero Pesto Dip

Earlier this month, I wrote about how much I hate wasting parsley, which resulted in me creating a parsley pesto.  So when I had a bunch of cilantro leftover from my Thai Chicken Soup, I decided to make a dip using cilantro pesto as a base.  I love the flavor of cilantro when it contrasts with something spicy so I decided to make this a spicy cilantro habanero pesto dip.

First, I gathered my ingredients:

  • Bunch of cilantro (stems removed)
  • 3 ounces Gruyere cheese
  • 1 habanero
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle rub
  • 1 teaspoon roasted chili oil
  • 17.6 ounces Fage Total 2% Greek yogurt
I put the cilantro in the food processor and pulsed until the cilantro turned into a thick grainy paste.


I then cut the hard rinds off the Gruyere cheese and cubed the cheese.  I also sliced the habanero pepper in half and removed the stem.  I added the Gruyere cheese, habanero, olive oil, chipotle rub, and roasted chili oil to the food processor and pulsed until the ingredients turned into a grainy paste.


Finally, I added the cool Greek yogurt to the food processor to add both a creamy texture and to balance the heat of the cilantro habanero pesto dip.

I loved how spicy this dip was.  If you want a milder version, you can omit the habanero or use sweet peppadew peppers instead.


But for me, I loved the heat and I thought the dip went wonderfully with some cold crisp celery.


This made a huge bowl of dip so I also used the cilantro habanero pesto dip to top some Mexican-inspired pork and vegetable lettuce wraps.  I was glad to find a way to use up this cilantro in a really creative way without letting it go to waste.

Tell me, what are some other ways that you use up leftover cilantro?

Also, don't forget to enter my West Bend versatility cooker giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment