Sunday, April 3, 2011

Crab Mac & Cheese

When I saw Lauren's Lobster Mac & Cheese, my mouth was watering.  Although I'm not a fan of lobster (I know, I'm crazy...  but I'm ok with that), my mind immediately created a crab version spiced up with Old Bay.


Now, while I love a good mac & cheese, it's not something I indulge in very often.  This recipe isn't completely without guilt, it's definitely one that won't break the proverbial calorie bank.  Which is a good thing, as it's definitely worth throwing into the rotation for special occasions :)



Crab Mac & Cheese
adapted from Healthy Food for Living
Serves 2-3  (or 6 at a potluck!)

If you really love Old Bay, feel free to use even more than I did.  You could taste it in dish, but I think there was some room for a bit more!  Or perhaps mine isn't quite that fresh?  Add to taste!

4oz dried pasta (rotini, elbows, or whatever you have on hand, I used Barilla Plus rotini)
6oz crab meat (lump, claw... whichever you like)

For the cheese sauce:
1c milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
1T butter
2T flour
2oz cave-aged gruyere, finely grated
2-3oz grass-fed cheddar, finely grated
1/2t kosher salt
1t Old Bay Seasoning  (or more, see note above)

For the topping:
1/2T butter
3T whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1T Fiber One crumbs (or more panko)
1/2t Old Bay seasoning

I followed Lauren's directions for the mac and cheese, so check out the original recipe!



Do you have a favorite mac & cheese recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment