Friday, December 17, 2010

Where To Dine On New Year's Eve

I never seem to know where I want to go or what I want to do for New Year's Eve. Sometimes I'll make a nice dinner for two, sometimes I'll go out on the town or out to dinner, and sometimes I'll have a small group of close friends over. I think the decision always occurs right after Christmas; I can never seem to plan ahead for this occasion.

This year though, I've been receiving press releases regularly for dinners happening in and around Boston on New Year's Eve. I weeded through them and did some research of my own and thought I'd share the dinners that I would choose to go to. I will note that I've tried to share the more affordable options with you. You can certainly find dinners for $100+ at many locations around Boston... if that's what you're looking for.

I hope my list will help you narrow down your dinner options! You've only got two weeks left!

Bergamot

This is one of my favorite restaurants in the Boston area. The food is delicious and seasonal, the desserts are unique and incredible, and it doesn't hurt that I live within walking distance. Sometimes the service lags a little, but the overall atmosphere and fabulous desserts make up for that. There's also a great wine list, and last time I went, my waiter was nice enough to let me sample a few different choices when I couldn't make up my mind.

Bergamot has two dinner options for New Year's Eve. The five-course menu is available from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm and costs $75. The seven-course menu is available from 8:00 pm to 10:30 pm and costs $95. I believe the fifth and sixth courses are the two not included in the five-course menu. I know the seventh course would be my favorite! Bergamot is located at 118 Beacon Street, Somerville, Mass.

The Menu

First Course

Nantucket Bay Scallops
Fennel, Beets, Farro, Blood Orange Vinaigrette


Second Course

Sole Goujonette
Hoppin John, Tomato Fondue-Speckled Hollandaise


Third Course

Pan-Seared Scottish Salmon
Cauliflower, Almonds, Kumquats, Fennel Pollen, Champagne Buerre Blanc


Fourth Course

Kabocha Squash Ravioli
Apple, Chanterelle Mushrooms, Kale, Miso-Vegetable Broth


Fifth Course

Grilled Quail
Chorizo, Cabbage, Chick Peas-Manchego Puree, Natural Jus


Sixth Course

Roasted Beef Tenderloin
Spinach, Diced King Oyster Mushrooms, Creole Shrimp Gravy


Seventh Course

Warm Chocolate Cake
Maraschino Cherries, Palm Sugar Ice Cream

Eastern Standard

Eastern Standard has been on my list for a very long time, but I always seem to want to go when there's a home Red Sox game, and I can't convince Jeff to go into the Fenway area at that time. So I have not personally been there, but I've heard so many great things about the restaurant that I still feel confident recommending it. Update: I had lunch here recently and loved it. The food and service were both incredible. Hoping to get a post up about it soon.

On New Year's Eve you can celebrate with ES' regular menu or take advantage of a la carte seafood options like King crab legs, sea scallop ceviche, and tuna tartare. If a la carte is not your thing, you can try the $60 “Shellfish Platter for the Next Decade.” By-the-glass champagne options, ranging from $8-$17, will be available, and deals on ES' extensive bottle selection will abound as well. Eastern Standard is locatied at 528 Commonwealth Avenue in Kenmore Square in Boston.

Foundry on Elm

I attended a grand opening party at Foundry on Elm and have been talking about getting back there for dinner ever since. On New Year's Eve, Executive Chef Sam Putnam will plate a four-course, prix-fixe menu with two seatings at 7 pm and 9 pm for $45 including a champagne toast at midnight. Following dinner at 10:30 pm, the evening continues with bubbles, spirits, and dancing for a $15 cover charge. Foundry on Elm is located at 255 Elm Street in Somerville, Mass.

The Menu


First Course

Jonah Crab Trio
Crab Spring Roll, Crab Cake, Crab Bisque

Confit Kurobuta Pork Cheeks
Candied Kumquats, Jerusalem Artichokes, Gingered Cider Gastrique

Caramelized Onion, Goat cheese, and Salsify Tart
Cranberry-endive Salad


Second Course

Roasted Beet Salad
Mizuna, Gorgonzola, Hazelnuts, Cabernet Vinaigrette

Curried Winter Squash Soup
Crème Fraiche, Pickled Shiitakes


Third Course

Nantucket Bay Scallop Risotto
Poached Pears, Fennel, Radicchio

Long Island Duck Breast
Italian Chestnuts, Pomegranate, Forbidden Rice, Tatsoi

Grilled Ribeye
20 Year Port Demi-Glace, Stilton, Cippolini Onions, Potato Croquettes

Stuffed Pork Loin
Medjool Date & Persimmon Stuffing, Grilled Acorn Squash, Garlic Whipped Potatoes

Mushroom Strudel
Leek, Mushroom & Swiss Chard Strudel, Gruyere, Porcini Cream


Dessert
Flourless Valhrona Chocolate Torte
Barbancourt Rum Anglaise

Eggnog Crème Brulee
Brown Butter Shortbread

Blood Orange Terrine
Ginger Tuile

Pineapple Mango Upside-Down Cake
Crème Chantilly

Russell House Tavern

Every time I'm at Russell House sipping on my perfectly made St.-Germain cocktail, I find myself eyeing the food the waitstaff carries by. It all looks and smells delicious, so in spite of not having tasted it myself, I again feel confident in recommending that you dine here. Executive Chef Michael Scelfo will be preparing a  three-course New Year’s Eve dinner ($59/person; reservations accepted  5 pm to 10 pm). Afterwards, stick around for a two-floor party until 2 am that includes free party favors and a champagne toast at midnight. Russell House Tavern is located at 14 JFK Street in Harvard Square in Cambridge, Mass.

The Menu


First Courses

Silken Parsnip Puree
Black Truffle and Salt Cod

Warm Smoked Duck Breast Salad
Potato Aioli, Dried Fig Mustard, Walnut Toast

Lamb Cassoulet
Merguez Sausage, Slow Braised Lamb Shoulder, Hickory Smoked Lamb Belly, Slow Cooked White Beans and Tomato

Foie Gras and Laphroaig Terrine
Black Pepper, Cherry Gelee, Smoked Almonds

Main Courses

Duet of Beef
Grilled Petit NY Strip & Braised Wagyu Beef Cheek
Porcini Butter, Cauliflower/Apple Puree, Horseradish Panade

Seared Wild Carolina Wreckfish Fillet
Brussels Sprouts & Bacon, Crispy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes

Confit Saddle of Venison
Blackberry Jam, Molasses Glazed Turnips, Spicy Kettle Braised Greens

Warm House-Made Ricotta Crespelle
Artichoke and Roasted Tomato Stew, Petite Nicoise Salad

Desserts

Chocolate Hazelnut Torte
Creme Anglaise, Dark Chocolate Mousse, Toasted Hazelnuts

Orange Creamsicle Parfait
Vanilla and Orange Mousse, Creamy Caramel, Candied Orange

Ten Tables

Ever since I went to Ten Tables in Cambridge for Mystery Meet No. 1, I have wanted to go back again. I had the most incredible dinner that evening, which ended with chocolate terrine and basil ice cream -- the same dessert I tried to recreate for my last birthday. I imagine that New Year's Eve dinner will be just as tasty as my dinner there a few months ago.

Ten Tables uses tons of local ingredients, which is part of what makes the food taste so good. I highly recommend the pork, as the pork I had there is tied with Garden at the Cellar for best pork dish I've ever had. It came perfectly cooked and was incredibly moist. Dessert is a no-brainer: Get the chocolate terrine! The three-course New Year's Eve dinner runs $75 per person. Ten Tables is located at 5 Craigie Circle in Cambridge, Mass.

The Menu

Appetizer

Baby Red Oak Leaf with Crunchy Local Goat Cheese, Dried Apricots, Hazelnut & Banyuls Vinaigrette

Wellfleet Oyster Stew with Nicola Potatoes, Native Leeks & Vermouth Cream

Ten Tables Hand-cut Spaghetti with Pheasant Ragout, Sage & Winter Black Truffle

Rhode Island Fluke “Ceviche” with Winter Citrus, Pousse Pied & Shaved Watermelon Radish

Main

Winter Vegetable Pot Pie with Chanterelles, Bolero Carrots, Baby Brussels Sprouts & Hazelnut Pommes Puree

Pan Roasted Atlantic Swordfish with Farro, Roasted Native Beets & Meyer Lemon-Picholene Olive Salsa

Pork Duo: Tenderloin & Housemade Boudin Blanc with Apple Puree, Red Cabbage Aigre-Doux & Mustard Jus

All Natural Meyer Rib Eye “Rossini” with Handcut Truffle Frites, Hudson Valley Foie Gras Butter & Watercress Salad

Dessert

Chocolate Terrine with Thai Basil Ice Cream & Crumbled Peanut Brittle

Meyer Lemon Pot de Crème with Rosemary Shortbread Cookies

Banana-Hazelnut Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce & Chai Ice Cream

Artisanal Cheese Plate


Have you made your New Year's Eve plans yet? Where are you heading? Do you seek out dancing and merrymaking? Do you prefer an elegant meal? Or would you rather curl up on the couch?

No comments:

Post a Comment