Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Cold Snowy Evening at Turner Fisheries

Back in November, I got an email from Turner Fisheries about new fall sustainable menu.  I've only been to Turner Fisheries once before and I was eager to check out their dinner menu.  Last night, I made the trek out in the cold snowy weather to meet my friend Kristen of Indulge, Inspire, Imbibe for dinner.

When we arrived, the restaurant and bar were both very quiet.  Kristen had arrived earlier and was waiting at the bar and we were seated immediately at a lovely window seat overlooking Dartmouth Street.  Although Kristen and I email regularly, I actually hadn't seen her in a few weeks and there was a lot to catch up on.  As a result, we took our time in ordering both our drinks and food.  Our server was completely patient and understanding and never made us feel rushed at all!

To start, I decided to order a glass of prosecco.  However, our server instead informed me that they were out of prosecco and instead offered me a glass of Veuve Clicquot (Yellow Label) at the same price.  I thought this was a nice gesture and I happily accepted my glass of Veuve!


After nibbling on the restaurant's bread basket and catching up over conversation, Kristen and I finally got to the serious task of ordering.  While we knew what we wanted for our respective entrees, we turned to our server for guidance on the appetizer and followed his recommendation for the seared diver scallops.


The seared diver scallops were seared to a perfect golden-brown crust without overcooking the scallops.  These giant scallops came with a rich and hearty butternut ragout, which I could have eaten on its own but went wonderfully with the scallops.

For my entree, I was definitely in the mood for something warm for the cold winter night so I ended up choosing the seafood risotto which contained bay scallops, Caribbean shrimp, halved grape tomatoes and lots of parmesan reggiano cheese.  The risotto was topped with a lobster tail and I was given a small bowl of melted butter to dip the lobster in.


This was a huge serving of risotto (so large that I ended up taking half of it home).  I loved that Turner Fisheries does not skimp on the seafood and every bite was filled with seafood.  The cheese added a nice saltiness to the dish while the tomatoes added fresh burst of acidity.

Kristen went with the seared ahi tuna and while I didn't taste her dish, I've got to say that it was really beautifully plated.  She also thoroughly enjoyed her dish but also found the serving to be huge!


At this time, Kristen and I were both ready for another drink and we both decided to order the Harvest Cocktail, which contained a combination of apple pucker, butterscotch schnapps and Stoli vanilla vodka.  I was hesitant because of its neon green hue but it seriously tasted like a candied apple without being overly sweet.


Of course, we couldn't resist dessert and decided to split a cranberry creme brulee which contained both Grand Marnier and cranberries.  We were confused by the gummy cranberry substance that accompanied the brulee but it definitely brought out the cranberry flavors of the creme brulee!


Before we knew it, Kristen and I were the only diners in the restaurant and we closed down the place.  Our server definitely understood that we were there to catch up and to dine at a leisurely pace and I was appreciative that he never made us feel rushed and the pace of the meal was definitely pleasant.  While the food was delicious, it is this wonderful service that makes you want to return.

I'd also like to add that although I was contacted by Turner Fisheries to come check out the menu, this meal was fully paid by Kristen and I and this opinion is completely honest and my own.  

Turner Fisheries is located in the Westin Copley Place at 10 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA.


Turner Fisheries on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment