Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Apple Butter Vinaigrette

I can never get enough apples in the fall (yes, I know it's not fall anymore...  but it was in the 40s yesterday!), and this time I took my homemade applesauce to a whole new level.  After my apples became applesauce in the crockpot overnight, I gave it a stir and returned it to low while I was at work (another 8hrs or so).   At this point, a quick spin in the blender and out came a pretty delicious apple butter!   Couldn't be simpler :)


Since then I've mostly used the apple butter as a topping for yogurt or toast, but then somewhere along the way (probably here) I had the idea to use it in a dressing.   First I used it on a salad of massaged kale, julienned apples, chopped pecans, dried cranberries and goat cheese...   delicious.   And then I tossed that combination with some freshly cooked wheat berries.  Even better!!  The warm wheat berries melted the goat cheese and with the vinaigrette coated the salad quite nicely... yum.  



Apple Butter Vinaigrette
"recipe" by Shannon
(enough for one of my salads)

1/2c apple butter
2-4T white balsamic vinegar
2-4T olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste

I kind of flew by the seat of my pants, whisking all the ingredients together.  I prefer my dressings to have a little tang (especially using sweet apple butter), so I was on the 4T vinegar and 2T oil end of the spectrum.  Feel free to adjust it to your own tastes!


Writing this post is making me hungry, so I think I'll go make some more  :)




This was very festive, so it could easily become a part of your holiday menu!    What's the most delicious thing you've ever done with apple/pumpkin/pear butter?

No comments:

Post a Comment