Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Asian Marinated Chicken

On Sunday night, I took out three boneless chicken breasts from the freezer to thaw overnight in the fridge.  Since grilling is our new preferred method of cooking, I knew that we would obviously grill the chicken breasts but I hadn't quite figured out what to marinate the chicken in.

When I came home from work on Monday, I opened my cabinet and pulled some of my favorite ingredients out - soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame seed oil, and honey.  With an Asian-inspired marinade in mind, I pulled fresh ginger root from the freezer.  I always keep fresh ginger in the freezer to grate into dishes.  This is a trick I learned from my mom.  From the fridge, I took out a bulb of garlic and a hot pepper from my mom's garden.



To make the marinade, I mixed all of these ingredients together:


  • 1/4 cup soy sauce

  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

  • 1/4 cup sesame seed oil

  • 2 tablespoons honey

  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger

  • 3 small cloves of garlic, minced

  • 1 roughly chopped hot pepper with the seeds

I put the three chicken breasts in the bowl and let it soak the marinade in for an hour and a half.



Bret took care of the grilling while I boiled up some ears of corn.



This was another fabulous meal from the grill!  The marinade gave the chicken breast a lot of flavor.  Grilling the chicken helped give the chicken a nice crust while keeping the meat really moist.




Bret and I had one chicken breast each.  The extra chicken breast was made for lunch the next day.  I put together a salad with romaine, carrots, cucumber from my mom's garden and local radishes.  The chicken breast was cut into large chunks and this made a fantastic leftover lunch!

Tell me, how do you creatively use your leftovers for lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment