Thursday, August 25, 2011

Baked Flounder with Tomatoes and Cilantro

When I flipped through my most recent issue of Bon Appetit, I immediately flagged a few recipes of interest.  One of those recipes was a recipe for a super healthy Baked Flounder with Tomatoes and Basil.  After indulging quite a bit in Boothbay last weekend, I thought this dish would be a perfect way to get us back on track with healthy eating.



First, I gathered my ingredients.  Of course, I adapted the recipe a little to make it my own:


  • 1.5 pounds of very ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered

  • 4 garlic cloves, crushed

  • 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil

  • Lemon juice from one lemon

  • 2 tablespoons of cilantro paste

  • Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

  • 2 8-ounce boneless flounder filets

I preheated the oven at 425 degrees as I did the practically nonexistent preparation for this dish.  I started by tossing the first five ingredients together in a roasting pan.  I spread the tomato mixture out in a single layer and then seasoned the tomatoes with salt and pepper.



The tomatoes baked for five minutes.  During this time, I opened up a bottle of malbec and poured myself a glass.  After all, the best way to cook is with a glass of wine!



After five minutes in the oven, I took the roasting pan out and topped the tomatoes with the flounder filets.



The roasting pan went back into the oven for another ten minutes and baked until the fish was nice and flaky.



This dish was so easy to make and the end result was super flavorful.  I spooned some more of the olive oil, garlic and lemon juice sauce onto the fish.  The sauce had such fantastic herb and citrus flavors and I ate every bite!

I have been having a real love affair with tomatoes lately.  Tell me, are you enjoying tomatoes as much as I am this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment