Thursday, August 18, 2011

Healthy Cake

At some point this summer, you're bound to have carrots, zucchini and summer squash ready and waiting to jump into your next dish.  I wanted to try a play on zucchini bread and carrot cake, and this was what I came up with...  it's neither of those things, but it was tasty.


I brought it to work to get some opinions and everyone enjoyed it without knowing what it was.  When I inquired about what it tasted like, I think the best response was "healthy".  They know me so well ;)  I'm going with it, as I think it's rather appropriate!



Healthy Cake
yield:  two 8-9" cake layers

1c shredded zucchini
1c shredded summer squash
1c shredded carrots
4 eggs, beaten
1/4c mild flavored oil
1/4c greek yogurt
1/4c milk (dairy or nondairy)
1/2c applesauce
1t vanilla extract
2 1/2c white whole wheat flour (or AP or WW pastry)
1/2c sucanat (or brown sugar)
3/4c evaporated cane juice (granulated sugar)
2t baking powder
1/2t baking soda

Preheat oven to 350deg.

In a large bowl, whisk together wet ingredients (eggs through vanilla).  Add squash and carrots and mix well.

In a separate bowl, add dry ingredients and mix until well combined.  Add to the wet ingredients and fold in just until the dry ingredients are moistened.  Try not to overmix!

Pour into 2 cake pans sprayed with Pam for baking (or butter and flour your pans).  Bake in preheated oven for 25-30min, until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool completely, then frost with your favorite icing, cream cheese frosting anyone?



It might not be quite what I intended, but still seemed to be a hit.  Not the most indlugent cake, and full of vegetables, you can totally feel good about eating a slice!!

No comments:

Post a Comment