Monday, August 29, 2011

Fruit, Whole Fruit and Nothing But Fruit

In ice pop form! Power of Fruit Bars are a healthy summer snack or dessert made with 100% whole frozen fruit.
The company provided me one box each of their five signature bars, which are blended using various combinations of fresh strawberries, blueberries, cranberries, mangoes, pineapples, bananas and more, with a dash of all natural juice concentrate and water.The iced fruit bars are tart, sweet, juicy and inherently fresh as a result of immediately freezing the fruit right after it has been picked, washed and chopped. No artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives are added, resulting in a summer snack that contains less than 10 grams of sugar and under 36 calories per bar.In essence, Power of Fruit steps up to the plate as a refreshing, healthy alternative to sugar packed pops or dyed gel snacks. Bonus: one bar is equal to half a daily fruit serving.
The medley of flavors in my freezer that I have been working my way through are Original All Fruit, Tropical, Banana Berry, Orange Tango and Cherry Berry.
Initially, the pure, unaltered flavors threw me for a loop. When they say no sugar added, they mean, no sugar added. It took me a minute to adjust to the fact that these are not going to be sticky sweet like those old school neon ice pops that come in similar "push up" plastic packaging. Not even close.The first bar I sampled was the Orange Tango which left me wanting more. I felt like it was trying too hard to be wholesome - resulting in extreme tartness. Basically, it lacked the contrasting element of sweetness one might crave from an ice pop. (Which could be argued as entirely the point, so I though these bars were going to be a bust!) But then I tasted the Tropical with luscious pieces of mango and banana, which was much sweeter in comparison. This ended up being my favorite of the five. Yellow pop for the win!
The Cherry Berry, Banana Berry and All Fruit bars like-ability factor fell somewhere in between.

Flavor preferences aside, I can totally embrace this product as a whole for keeping it real. This is fruit as it should be, the fresh chunks laced throughout the icy bars are undeniably my favorite part.
To find a retailer nearest to you, head to the website and type your zip code in the space provided at the bottom of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment