Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Baked Eggs in Tomatoes

Whenever I see a recipe on a blog or in a magazine, I will clip or print it and put it my recipe binder to try at a later date.  Often times though, I don't get around to making this recipes as quickly as I'd like.  As a result, my recipe binder gets overstuffed until I'm reminded to go digging through it again.  When Jen recently wrote about her Baked Egg in Tomato dish, I remembered clipping a similar recipe from Everyday Food over a year ago and I decided to finally give it a try!



First, I preheated the oven to 350 degrees while I gathered my ingredients.  I adapted the original recipe a bit based on the ingredients I had on hand and cut the recipe in half for two servings.


  • 2 firm, large tomatoes

  • Salt and ground pepper, to taste

  • 1/4 cup fresh corn kernels

  • 2 large eggs

  • 2 teaspoons cilantro paste

  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

  • 1/4 shredded mozzarella cheese

While I lined a small baking dish with parchment paper, Bret stripped the fresh corn kernels from the cob.



Using a serrated knife, I gently cut the tops off the tomatoes.  With a spoon, we scooped out the inside of each tomato carefully to not cut through the outer flesh and skin of the tomatoes.  I also turned the tomatoes upside down to help drain some of the juices.



I whisked together the eggs, cilantro, mozzarella, salt and pepper in a small bowl.



I then put in about a quarter of the corn kernels into each tomato.



I divided the egg mixture into the two tomatoes and topped the egg mixture with the remaining corn.



Finally, I sprinkled the egg mixture with the grated Parmesan cheese.



The tomatoes went into the oven for about fifty minutes and then they were ready to serve!



This is a perfect summer brunch dish with the tomatoes and the fresh corn!  While this could be really eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner, we ate ours at brunch with a small toasted bagel and a side of crispy bacon.



This made the perfect hearty Sunday brunch as we watched the rain and wind from Hurricane Irene. 

No comments:

Post a Comment