Monday, August 29, 2011

Strawberry-Raspberry Shortbread Cookies

As I mentioned previously, I flagged a lot of great recipes in the latest issue of Bon Appetit.  My baked flounder with tomatoes and cilantro was a big hit, so I decided to try my hand at another recipe from the magazine - Shortbread Cookies!

I followed the recipe pretty closely but made a few small changes of my own.



First, I pre-heated the oven to 400 degrees while I gathered the ingredients:


  • 2 cups whole wheat flour

  • 1/2 cup sugar

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

  • 10 1/2 tablesppons unsalted butter, room temperature

  • 1 large egg, room temperature

  • 1 large egg yolk, room temperature

  • 3 tablespoons (about) strawberry-raspberry jam

I whisked together the flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl.



I cut in the butter until the flour mixture was coarse.


I whisked the egg and egg yolk in a separate bowl.



I poured the egg mixture into the coarse flour mixture and stirred until a crumbly shortbread cookie dough began to form.



I rolled two tablespoons of dough into a ball and lined the dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  I left about two inches of space in between the dough balls.



I used my index finger to make small indentations in the dough.



I fill the indentations with strawberry-raspberry jam.



The cookies went into the oven to bake for ten minutes before I allowed them to cool on the tray.



These shortbread cookies were so nutty and crumbly.  Bret couldn't stop raving about them since he love cookies made with whole wheat flour.  Plus, they made for a nice sweet snack during the weekend, while we anticipated Hurricane Irene.

I haven't done too much baking lately.  Tell me, what have you been baking lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment